HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-18, 18:32

I wouldn't mention ECMAScript in your message to them, because that's a rather wild assumption -- more likely it's actually design and/or CSS related, but without actually pulling the page code apart (which isn't our job, but theirs) we can't be sure which technology that they chose to use or which specific rendering engine they chose to target is problematic. Firefox > 63 having less issues is very likely because they are trying their best to copy Chrome/Blink's quirks and implementation choices as closely as possible at this point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-18, 21:06

As I mentioned in my opening post, I found the issue to persist in Firefox until even version 65 which I mentioned was even released earlier this year.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-18, 21:17

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-07-18, 14:39
Specifically concerning this: "On behalf of the users of the Pale Moon web browser,"
@Tharthan, you do not represent "the users of the Pale Moon web browser".

People may have varying individual opinions on whether they want your letter to represent themselves, but you don't represent or speak "on behalf of" the collective usership, and you can't hold yourself out to Home Depot as having such a status. At least not legitimately. (I get that you wanted to give yourself the appearance of having standing, but still...)
I know that I don't represent "the users of the Pale Moon web browser". I wasn't even sure if it would be best for me to be the one to send it. I was assuming that I would be the one to send it, but if there is someone who might be better to send it, then that's fine with me.

That's a large part of the reason why I posted it here. I wasn't going to send it like that. That would be both foolish and ridiculous.

The point was to get their attention by noting that this is a problem that many of their customers are having. That sentence can be reworded however would be preferable. And if people think that it would be better for someone else to send it, feel free.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-18, 21:41

Second draught:

To Whom it May Concern,

Hello.

On behalf of concerned users of the Pale Moon web browser who are also your customers, I wish to inform you that there seems to be an issue with the coding of some of your web pages.

If one, using the browser, goes to the Home Depot website and clicks on the alternate product images on the left of a product page, nothing happens. What is intended to happen is for a JavaScript window to appear containing an enlarged version of the clicked image, or a corresponding video.

This issue wasn't present originally, but due to some apparent changes in the Home Depot website's scripting, a number of your customers have been unable to use the Home Depot website, and (thus) are unable to make a decision on whether or not to purchase particular products that you are offering. This issue also affects versions 2.49, 2.53, and 2.57 of Mozilla Seamonkey, any Mozilla Firefox version before version 63 (although even Mozilla Firefox version 65 is still impacted by this to some extent), as well as Waterfox 56. All of the aforementioned browsers (and versions) are still supported and updated.

We very much appreciate the great service that Home Depot otherwise offers, so it saddens us that we are unable to properly use your site.

Thank you very much for your consideration, and I await your response.

Respectfully yours,

[MY NAME/NAME OF PERSON WHO SENDS E-MAIL]
Last edited by Tharthan on 2019-07-19, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-19, 06:08

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-18, 21:17
I know that I don't represent "the users of the Pale Moon web browser". I wasn't even sure if it would be best for me to be the one to send it. I was assuming that I would be the one to send it, but if there is someone who might be better to send it, then that's fine with me.
[...]
The point was to get their attention by noting that this is a problem that many of their customers are having. That sentence can be reworded however would be preferable. And if people think that it would be better for someone else to send it, feel free.
It's not a question of who should send the letter. (It's your letter, no one but you should send it.)

Rather it's a question of whether the letter should be framed at all as speaking on behalf of Pale Moon's users, regardless who signs it (as opposed to simply coming from Tharthan, a Pale Moon user).

It shouldn't be difficult to convey that a large number of users ("their customers") are affected, without also claiming to speak for all those people. This way no one misrepresents himself.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-19, 06:43

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-07-19, 06:08
Rather it's a question of whether the letter should be framed at all as speaking on behalf of Pale Moon's users, regardless who signs it (as opposed to simply coming from Tharthan, a Pale Moon user).

It shouldn't be difficult to convey that a large number of users ("their customers") are affected, without also claiming to speak for all those people. This way no one misrepresents himself.
"On behalf of concerned users of the Pale Moon web browser who are also your customers"

See the second draught above, where I use that wording instead. I'm not going to please everyone on the face of the Earth, evidently, but unless one is a pedant, there really is no issue to be found using that wording.

You don't seem particularly concerned about this, so the "concerned users" wouldn't include you. Problem solved.

If you still think that it could be worded better, please offer some suggestions.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-19, 10:09

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-19, 06:43
"On behalf of concerned users of the Pale Moon web browser who are also your customers"

See the second draught above, where I use that wording instead. [...]

You don't seem particularly concerned about this, so the "concerned users" wouldn't include you. Problem solved.
Well. I hadn't realized how much weight the word "concerned" was meant to carry. Nor how much emotion this would generate for you.

To say, essentially, that users who *care* about site breakage are represented by you, while people who don't consider you their representative take that position because they don't care, is a cheap shot.
You aren't able to make that judgment. Even if that's how you feel.

My position is straightforward:
You don't in fact represent other users (except for individuals who might give permission).
Therefore you shouldn't claim to a website that you represent other users (but for individuals who give permission).

But you seem immune to hearing criticism of this issue. And it's your letter that you control. So I'm through with this discussion.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-07-19, 21:19

Tharthan wrote:
On behalf of concerned users of the Pale Moon web browser who are also your customers, I wish to inform you that there seems to be an issue with the coding of some of your web pages.
My suggestion would be to change this to something like this:

"I wish to inform you that there seems to be an issue with the coding of some of your web pages while trying to access your website with Pale Moon browser." And change the we/us in your draft to I/me. Then I'd send it considering this has been going on for over a week and they probably haven't heard anything about it yet (an assumption).

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-19, 21:32

ron_1 wrote:
2019-07-19, 21:19
With regard to your suggestion, this is the best that I can do unless there are any other constructive proposed changes that aid the letter. It certainly looks better than the first draught-

Third Draught

To Whom it May Concern,

Hello.

I wish to inform you that there appears to be an issue with the coding of some of your web pages when one tries to access your website with the Pale Moon browser.

If one, using the browser, goes to the Home Depot website and clicks on the alternate product images on the left of a product page, nothing happens. What is intended to happen is for a JavaScript window to appear containing an enlarged version of the clicked image, or a corresponding video.

This issue wasn't present originally, but due to some apparent changes in the Home Depot website's scripting, Pale Moon users have been unable to properly use the Home Depot website with the browser, and (thus) may be unable to make a decision on whether or not to purchase particular products that you are offering. This issue also affects versions 2.49, 2.53, and 2.57 of Mozilla Seamonkey, any Mozilla Firefox version before version 63 (although even Mozilla Firefox version 65 is still impacted by this to some extent), as well as Waterfox 56. All of the aforementioned browsers (and versions) are still supported and updated.

I very much appreciate the great service that Home Depot otherwise offers, so it saddens me that Pale Moon users, such as myself, are unable to properly use your site.

Thank you very much for your consideration, and I await your response.

Respectfully yours,

[MY NAME/NAME OF PERSON WHO SENDS E-MAIL]

Also, any suggestions for what would be a good subject line? I was thinking "Website Scripting Issue" or something like that. Anyone have anything better?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-07-19, 22:12

Tharthan wrote:
Also, any suggestions for what would be a good subject line? I was thinking "Website Scripting Issue" or something like that. Anyone have anything better?
You want something that will make them sit up and take notice. I'd go with something like: "Problem trying to make purchase off of website." Leave the scripting issue to the text body.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-19, 22:37

ron_1 wrote:
2019-07-19, 22:12
Tharthan wrote:
You want something that will make them sit up and take notice. I'd go with something like: "Problem trying to make purchase off of website." Leave the scripting issue to the text body.
All right.

The problem is, the e-mail address they give is under the "in-store purchase" section. There are only text message and telephone calling options for online stuff.

I suppose that it is still worth a shot.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-20, 00:53

All right. It is sent.

We'll see whether they respond or not.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-22, 19:31

They actually responded.

Out of respect for private communication, I won't copy and paste their response here, but I will tell you what they said.

They said that they are "terribly sorry" for the issues caused by this, and that they have forwarded this information to their "Online IT team" for a resolution.

So that might be good, I guess.

But they then said something strange. They said that "in the meantime" I might wish to utilise another browser and... clear the browser's cookies.

I'm not sure that I get what the logic for that last part is, or how it relates to anything... but whatever.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-07-22, 21:28

Clearing cookies is a standard troubleshooting step that is given out by customer support. I used to work at a call center and that was a suggestion we were to give out if people were having problems with our website.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-07-23, 00:38

Yeah, sounds like a predefined standard reply to me.
Basically, it means that no one has bothered to actually look at the problem yet.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-23, 00:43

What problem? Google owns the internet.. Since when is that a problem? Know why else it isn't a problem? We aren't even allowed to have a web browser.. Let alone three of them. Cause we are just using old and insecure technology!

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-23, 00:53

Tomaso wrote:
2019-07-23, 00:38
Yeah, sounds like a predefined standard reply to me.
Well, the e-mail wasn't copied and pasted. I can tell you that by other contents of the e-mail. But, indeed, a good portion of it was fairly generic.
Tomaso wrote:
2019-07-23, 00:38
Basically, it means that no one has bothered to actually look at the problem yet.
Yet.

But I'll take the whole 'forwarded the information to the IT people' at face value.

Y'know. Assume good faith, and all of that.

But even if the information was forwarded, it doesn't mean that they'll bother to fix it. We'll have to see. If I get any follow-ups, I'll let you [plural] know.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-25, 20:21

All right, Home Depot sent me a "three question survey" basically asking how I felt about the customer support.

I answered honestly, and left a comment mentioning how important this is.

The comment was as follows:

"This is an important issue that needs to be addressed. Please address it. Many of your customers who use Pale Moon are now unable to adequately determine whether or not to purchase your products via your website because of this problem.

This problem is such a nuisance that concerned Pale Moon users like myself have even discussed this on an online forum, because we are very concerned. If you wish to have a link to that forum thread, please let me know. We really need this to be solved.

Now, I can only speak for myself, here, but if this is not solved, I may have to consider taking my business to one of your competitors."

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2019-07-26, 20:51

I had thought I would not post again on the forum. But I can tell you that the Home Depot correspondence is likely resting well having been dropped into the Home Depot Suggestion box.
suggestion box.jpg
I had issues with them and sent an email to customer service. What came back was from their scripts. I complained about several things. The most notable was that their inventory system sucks. In theory, one can shop at a specific store and see how many of an item are in stock there. I needed a drain set-up for a new sink we were about to instlal and could not use without the drain set-up. I had the make and model Info and the site showed they had 11 in stock. So I drove 25 minutes to the store where I was told they had 0 in stock and had not had any for weeks. So it was 25 minutes back home plus the time I also wasted while there. I have given up shopping at Home Depot if I have any other option. They used to be a good store, not any more.

I can also tell you that I am currenty able to access and navigate the Home Depot site on Pale Moon vers. 28.5.2 and Portable 27.9.4. (I will update 28.5.2 to 28.6.1 soon but will try to hang onto the portable version until leaving Win 7 for Apple or Linux in the coming months. I am leaning towards Apple.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson