Possible hover/dropdown menu bug

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Possible hover/dropdown menu bug

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-05-24, 20:36

Issue:
Some hover/dropdown menus are very difficult to use in Pale Moon, as they seem to dissappear, before anything can be clicked.

Example:
http://www.boruitled.com/
(Try to use the "Products" menu, by letting your mouse pointer hover on it)

Mozregression result:
Last bad: Firefox v57.0a1 (2017-09-01)
First good: Firefox v57.0a1 (2017-09-02)

Note:
Although the menu, which I posted as an example, seems to be a tad sensitive, there's a clear difference between the FF builds above, whereas the "first good" release handles it much better.

FF pushlog:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... 24da27fd58

--

(Tested with Pale Moon v28.5.0,x64 and v28.6.0a1,x64 (2019-05-24), under Win8.1Pro)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Possible hover/dropdown menu bug

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-24, 21:41

Bad menu design. If they want to do this then they must make sure there is overlap or at least no gap so the hover state remains active on the element.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-05-31, 16:36

Are you absolutely sure that it isn't allowed by some type of new and "forgiving" standard?
I only ask because I've encountered this issue several times, and other browsers seems to handle those type of menus much better.

Here's another example:
http://www.leathercelebrities.com/
(Try to use the "Celebrities" hover menu, at the top)
The Mozregression result is the same as the one that I posted before.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-05-31, 16:52

No problem in both sites with the unstable - using native user agent mode

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-05-31, 17:04

Sajadi wrote:
2019-05-31, 16:52
No problem in both sites with the unstable - using native user agent mode
Are you sure that you've tested this properly.
The latest unstable has the same problem at my end, in all UA modes.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-05-31, 20:17

Of course. I know the effect which you describe. When you try to click on a menu item, it vanishes.

But in that 2 examples i have zero issues. I only have here ABPrime installed and no scripts blocked at all.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-05-31, 21:05

Of course. I know the effect which you describe. When you try to click on a menu item, it vanishes.
But in that 2 examples i have zero issues.
You're just too fast :D Just moving a little slower, then menu really disappears on going to menupopup.
I think Moonchild is right: Bad menu design.( not tested anywhere except chromium :sick: )

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-06-01, 00:27

jars_ wrote:
2019-05-31, 21:05
You're just too fast :D Just moving a little slower, then menu really disappears on going to menupopup.
Not really, i even took the time to make 1-2 seconds of pause before moving the cursor :D Still, works flawless.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-06-01, 01:16

Sajadi wrote:
2019-06-01, 00:27
Not really, i even took the time to make 1-2 seconds of pause before moving the cursor :D Still, works flawless.
The problem is that there is gap of space between the button and the menu, if you move your mouse from the button to the opened menu too slowly it will disappear as it will register you are outside of the area of the button and the menu, i tried it with Vivaldi and on the sites menu's there is still a pixel gap that can make the menu disappear.
I agree just plainly bad menu design as it doesn't even work fine on chromium.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-06-01, 10:35

Lurker_01 wrote:
2019-06-01, 01:16
The problem is that there is gap of space between the button and the menu
Yes, Moonchild has already explained this.
But unfortunately, it's a somewhat common problem, which other browsers either seems to have an updated standard for, or a workaround (most likely).
If you try the two Firefox builds, which I mentioned in the first post, you'll notice that the latter one handles those type of menus much better.
However, since the menus apparently works flawlessly in Pale Moon for Sajadi, there are probably be some system dependent factors at work here too.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-01, 10:39

Tomaso wrote:
2019-06-01, 10:35
But unfortunately, it's a somewhat common problem, which other browsers either seems to have an updated standard for, or a workaround (most likely).
As other posts have already indicated this is NOT the case, as when the gap exists, other browsers do the exact same thing (including Chromium). The fact that you more readily see it in Pale Moon is likely just an indication that it is processing events faster and actually "hits" the gap with a pointer position update much more readily.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-06-01, 10:44

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-01, 10:39
The fact that you more readily see it in Pale Moon is likely just an indication that it is processing events faster and actually "hits" the gap with a pointer position update much more readily.
OK.
I'd mark this issue as solved then, but it would seem that this particular feature is missing, after the last forum update.
Do you plan to reintroduce it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-01, 10:46

Depends on if the extension dev can be bothered to make it compatible with 3.2