Minor issue with disappearing bookmark button

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ibmhal5678

Minor issue with disappearing bookmark button

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2019-05-21, 05:07

Hi all,

I'm using the latest stable Pale Moon version (28.5.0) and I'm having a minor issue with the button for bookmarks. I'm talking about this one: Image

When I try to add it to the tab bar or to the url bar (via customize dialog), it will simply disappear from the bar when I'm closing the customize dialog. But I can add it to the status bar and use it from there:
That's quite funny, but not what I wanted.

There's another very similar button, which opens the bookmarks sidebar: Image
This one works like it should, I can add it to the url bar and use it without issues: Image

So I think the disappearing bookmarks button in the first case is a bug in Pale Moon and not intended behaviour.

I'm seeing a similar behaviour with the "Download" button Image and "Download Status" button (which looks almost identical in the customize dialog), the "Download Status" button will only be shown, when there's an active download going on. In this case it may be intended behaviour, though I'm not really happy with it.

It would be nice, if the issue with the disappearing bookmark button could be fixed.

kind regards,
Last edited by ibmhal5678 on 2019-05-21, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Minor issue with disappearing bookmark button

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-21, 08:32

Bookmark menu button stays put on the URL bar for me. Have you tried it with no extensions installed? Some of them can bump other buttons off the toolbars.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-05-21, 09:48

AFAIK this is intended behaviour - the Bookmarks and History toolbar menus (<toolbarbutton type="menu"/>) are only intended to be displayed if you choose to use the appmenu instead of the menu bar, because the functionality provided by those menus is equivalent to the History and Bookmarks menu bar items.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-21, 13:00

yami_’s answer sounds reasonable.

I have the History and Bookmarks icons planted in the Navigation toolbar.
• They are visible as I don’t use the Menu bar.
• They would disappear if the Menu bar is active since this bar has its own History and Bookmarks items.

ibmhal5678

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2019-05-21, 14:00

Ok, that makes perfect sense. You are right, I'm one of these old school users, who like to have a menu bar. When bookmarking, I'm mostly working with the menu, even though it may not be the quickest way.

The customize dialog should warn, that the icon wouldn't be visible for menu bar guys, but I understand that that would add a lot of unnecessary complexity, it might create more problems than it would solve.

Still I'd like to use these buttons. It's amusing, that I can put them into the status bar. I thought about pleading for more consistent behaviour, but that would probably mean, that you'd remove the option to show these button in status bar, too. For the time being, I can live with the current state, I'll just put these buttons in the status bar. Please consider this issue solved. No further action required.

kind regards,

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-21, 14:26

ibmhal5678 wrote:
2019-05-21, 14:00
Still I'd like to use these buttons. It's amusing, that I can put them into the status bar.
You can even set your bookmarks (if there are not too many of them) in the Status bar instead of the Bookmarks toolbar.
Last edited by Konrad on 2019-05-21, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

ibmhal5678

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2019-05-21, 14:57

Ok, there's also the possibility for "Download Status" button to make it permanently visible in the status bar settings, which are to be distinguished from the 'ordinary' settings, via "Tools->status bar settings->Download". So it seems there are exceptions and quite inconsistent rules. Still I won't ask for unification or more consistent behaviour, since from my experience this usually would mean the removal of existing options, and the status bar 'workaround' is ok for me.

I've customized the bookmarks menu and the bookmarks appmenu (BMB_*stuff) via userchrome.css to make both much more user-friendly, ported it over from Firefox/SeaMonkey, e.g. I removed the "Unsorted" folder from the bookmarks menu, since it's useless for me. Now I'd just like to use the bookmarks button from inside the url bar. The bookmarks sidebar button is also very useful, if you accidentally put a bookmark into Unsorted folder, you can call the sidebar, move the wrongly placed bookmark to e.g. bookmarks menu.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-05-21, 15:34

Technically Pale Moon has no status bar - rather, it has an add-on bar and an integrated version of a status-bar-emulating extension called Status-4-Evar. This is why this inconsistent behaviour exists - the standard XUL status bar used in other UXP applications (Ambassador, Borealis, Interlink, Icedove-UXP and Iceape-UXP) can only be modified by extensions and not by the user.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-21, 15:35

ibmhal5678 wrote:
2019-05-21, 14:57
I removed the "Unsorted" folder from the bookmarks menu, since it's useless for me. Now I'd just like to use the bookmarks button from inside the url bar.
Take a look at the Add Bookmark Helper add-on (it can also hide some items of the Bookmarks Menu). Maybe you’ll like it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-21, 16:16

I tried to push for restoring a true statusbar but the behavior of the now integrated S4E components mixed with a customizable toolbar that the Fx4 Add-ons Bar (renamed to Status Bar in Pale Moon) is would be missed by users. So it has to stay as it is.

NO, scratch that! The users would grab their pitchforks and torches and revolt. Claiming we were removing customization and ruined their browser JUST LIKE MOZILLA DID and then accuse us of next replacing the UI with Australis/Photon and getting rid of all extensions as well as preferences and THEN call for our summery execution as traitors. After that they would start to get nasty. THAT IS WHAT THEY WOULD DO. So it MUST stay as it is and can NEVER be changed.

ibmhal5678

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2019-05-22, 09:36

New Tobin Paradigm,

you have to understand, that users don't want these kinds of "improvements", even if they may be justified from a systematic viewpoint. I'm still getting annoyed about recent FF not remembering the last location where you last stored a bookmark, it always wants to use "Unsorted" folder. There may be a good reason for it, but we users like to reuse the last location, anything else is counter-intuitive. I mean, it can't be too hard to implement an option "remember last bookmarking location", but the FF guys seem to completely ignore their users' requests. And no, I don't want an add-on for such a simple task.

Konrad, I'm quite happy with my modifications via userchrome.css, not missing anything, maybe I'll post them here. Do you have some userchrome section in this forum? I virtually remove all options from my bookmark menu, I just leave add, organize, the bookmarks toolbar folder and the actual list of bookmarks in there, that's perfectly usable for me. Maybe my workflow is very different from the ones of other users, but I'm happy with it. It just would be nice to additionally use that bookmark button. Maybe I should plead for an option in the status bar settings, like the one for the "Download Status" button that I mentioned?

I can enforce the bookmark button's visibility in the url bar by

Code: Select all

#bookmarks-menu-button 
{
  display: -moz-box !important;
}
Not sure, if this is the best or most elegant solution.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-22, 12:00

ibmhal5678 wrote:
2019-05-22, 09:36
And no, I don't want an add-on for such a simple task.
Too many add-ons turn a browser to a sloth.
ibmhal5678 wrote:
2019-05-22, 09:36
I'm quite happy with my modifications via userchrome.css, not missing anything, maybe I'll post them here. Do you have some userchrome section in this forum?
There is no specific section for userChrome or userContent. ibmhal5678, you can open a new thread in General support branch to share your rule sets. I believe it will be appreciated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-22, 13:33

So you want changes to long standing behavior but only the changes YOU want but god forbid we change something without your approval.

How hypocritical and selfish of you. THIS is why no good changes can happen without a babybitch fit.

Cause if we change it for you or for us some carbon copy bullshit madlib argument will be against it and for something else with the same reason, logic, and arguments.

ibmhal5678

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2019-05-22, 15:53

As I said before, it's probably better to leave Pale Moon the way it is, that would be ok for me.

rickmv

Unread post by rickmv » 2019-05-22, 17:03

Off-topic:
Soon poll if PM roadmap should be decided from the dark side.