Removing the URL bar, the browser is rendered severely broken after restart

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
GeoMaL
Moongazer
Moongazer

Removing the URL bar, the browser is rendered severely broken after restart

Unread post by GeoMaL » 2019-05-10, 04:00

Hi all,

As the title says, if the url bar is removed, the browser becomes severely broken after restart
or quit/start again.
The issue does not happen in Safe Mode, but definitely it is not related to installed extensions.
This is because in Safe Mode the browser enters always in a default layout, with url bar.
I can reproduce this issue in normal mode only, always, having all of my installed extensions
disabled or not.

How to reproduce / what i noticed:
1.- Enter customization mode and move the url bar in customization palette. Please note:
I'm referring specifically to url bar, not to hide the navigation toolbar!
2.- Restart the browser or quit and start it over.
3.- When the browser starts, there are two visible things of this issue:
  1. The session will not be restored, showing only a blank tab.
  2. The bookmarks toolbar will be completely empty.
There is no way to open browser console, to see any errors, because the submenu
"Tools -> Web Developer" is also broken (Ctrl+Shift+J does not work too).
There are also several other malfunctions: You can't restore previous session, the right-click
context menu in various places is broken by showing all available menu items (applicable or not), etc.
For example, try to right-click on the bookmarks toolbar.
4.- It's possible to enter customization mode and restore the url bar, but after that the menu
bar becomes unreachable (frozen).
However, after the url bar is restored in the first window, it is possible to open a new one with
Ctrl+N, which seems to be ok. This way i was able to open the browser console and see several
errors, like the following:
2019-05-10_062059.png
2019-05-10_062007.png
2019-05-10_061638.png

Several extensions also, mainly restartless, become partially or completely broken, causing their
own errors to appear in browser console.

This issue is taking place as long as the url bar is removed. After it is restored, everything is ok
after a browser restart.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Removing the URL bar, the browser is rendered severely broken after restart

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2019-05-10, 11:08

I can confirm the same issue with a clean profile, using the given STR.

A null check for gURLBar needs to be added at the beginning of the writePlaceholder() method here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-10, 11:09

File an issue please, FranklinDM.

GeoMaL
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by GeoMaL » 2019-05-11, 01:08

In fact and to be accurate in reporting issues, this issue can happen also in Safe Mode:
1.- Restart the browser in Safe Mode, open browser console and then remove the url bar.
2.- After step 1, any subsequent new window will be broken, causing the following error
message in browser console:
2019-05-11_033833.png

When a window is closed, the following error message occurs:
2019-05-11_033644.png