Kapersky Cloud Security Reports "HEUR:AdWare.Script.Generic"

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
fohrums

Kapersky Cloud Security Reports "HEUR:AdWare.Script.Generic"

Unread post by fohrums » 2019-04-09, 07:12

SPECIFICATIONS:

Palemoon-Portable-28.4.1.win64
win7-v6.1.7601sp1-x64
Using Kapersky Cloud and a scan of my PC reported me the results of
Event "Legitimate software that can be used to harm your computer or personal data was detected." has occurred on device FOOBAR in Windows domain FOOBAR on Day, Month d, 2019 hh:mm:ss PM (GMT+hh:mm)
Result: Detected: not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Script.Generic
User: Foobar
Object: C:\Foobar\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\cache2\entries\<hashgoeshere>
Reason: Expert analysis
Database release date: m/d/yyyy m:mm:hh AM/PM
Hash: <hashgoeshere>
The concern is Result: Detected: not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Script.Generic

Anybody else experience this or do I need to clear the browser more often? I have Firefox installed, but only Palemoon raised :!: from Kaspersky Cloud Security.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Kapersky Cloud Security Reports "HEUR:AdWare.Script.Generic"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-09, 08:23

What you should do is exclude the browser's cache folder from your scanning :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fohrums

Unread post by fohrums » 2019-04-09, 09:58

So, you're saying Kapersky is flatout false reports? I'm interested that it even found something within Palemoon to begin with, because it didn't find anything for Firefox v66.02. I would also like to know if this could potentially be something bad and posting in bugs should be the right place to ask this?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-04-09, 10:18

Most antivirus software are suspicious of any internet-connected program that isn't whitelisted. Chrome and Firefox are often whitelisted by many AV programs.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-04-09, 10:29

fohrums wrote:So, you're saying Kapersky is flatout false reports?
I am not Moonchild, but your AV software detected a JS script that a website that you visited was using to serve ads. Web browsers tend to cache resources downloaded from the Internet to speed up subsequent page loads.

fohrums

Unread post by fohrums » 2019-04-09, 22:40

Thank You @Isengrim & @yami_ that cleared things up. For a moment I thought I had Greedy Cache Extension installed but it wasn't. I think I just had PM running too long.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-09, 22:45

fohrums wrote:Thank You @Isengrim & @yami_ that cleared things up. For a moment I thought I had Greedy Cache Extension installed but it wasn't. I think I just had PM running too long.
Not really. The main issue with scanning your web cache folder is that you'll be constantly scanning cached web content, i.e. content of pages you're visiting. This can easily trigger false positives because those files are never run in a way that malware would; the example in this thread being a benign ad serving script on a web page that's fine in that context, but apparently is also used in stand-alone adware (which you potentially wouldn't want on your system). It's just a waste of computer resources to scan those folders and can cause confusion like in this thread :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite