Pale Moon crashes frequently while watching Twitch streams with at least one other tab open

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon crashes frequently while watching Twitch streams with at least one other tab open

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-01, 16:36

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Where is he trying to upload it to?
The regular Pale Moon FTP server, dumps dir. Nobody else so far has had any issues with that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Dgwphotos

Re: Pale Moon crashes frequently while watching Twitch streams with at least one other tab open

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-01, 16:41

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Where is he trying to upload it to?
The Palemoon FTP site.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-01, 17:05

What client is he using? I recommend filezilla.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-04-01, 17:37

+1 for Filezilla. Also make sure your antivirus isn't doing anything weird with the upload. I've run into FTP issues that were being caused (silently, without any indication) by antivirus.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-04-01, 18:17

+1 for FileZilla here too.
Just make sure to always download it from this location:
https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1
The default download (big green booby trap button) seems to be OK at the moment.
..but sometimes, it might give you an installer which comes bundled with adware!

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-01, 21:31

I've been using the Linux Mint FTP client.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2019-04-02, 12:42

@Dgwphotos I also would recommend trying with FileZilla.

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-02, 21:08

I uploaded the dump again using FileZilla.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-03, 16:56

Dgwphotos wrote:I uploaded the dump again using FileZilla.
No problem with the archive this time. Peculiarly, uploading with your -other- client actually added to the size it should be (almost 565 MB vs. 563 MB now). Something really odd going on there.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-03, 17:12

Okay I'm sorry to say but this is a pure NVidia driver crash.

Crashing module:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_desktop_ref4wu.inf_amd64_6e17fae58779a6b0\nvd3dum.dll
Version: 21.21.13.6909

It crashes when the rendering engine releases a layer texture and cleans up the pointer to it.

The only solution for this is a fixed driver or (as a workaround) maybe disabling layers acceleration in the browser.
Is there a newer driver available? If not, maybe you can report this to NVidia's driver team (they might want the crash dump as well).

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-03, 18:23

I think I've had newer drivers, they've still been problematic. :crazy:

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-04, 20:13

I went ahead and updated the drivers. No problems so far.

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-11, 00:20

After several days of no problems, the crashes are back.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-11, 01:21

Dgwphotos wrote:After several days of no problems, the crashes are back.
My response remains the same. Sorry that the driver update didn't solve it for you.
Try disabling layers acceleration (in about:config, set layers.acceleration.disabled to true, then restart the browser)

Dgwphotos

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2019-04-12, 04:33

Moonchild wrote:
Dgwphotos wrote:After several days of no problems, the crashes are back.
My response remains the same. Sorry that the driver update didn't solve it for you.
Try disabling layers acceleration (in about:config, set layers.acceleration.disabled to true, then restart the browser)
Not that it's particularly important, but does that affect how some fonts are rendered?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-12, 12:03

Dgwphotos wrote:Not that it's particularly important, but does that affect how some fonts are rendered?
Unlikely, but it -is- possible in some edge cases, since compositing textures will be handled differently.