Cookie control not working

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
martinw2

Cookie control not working

Unread post by martinw2 » 2019-02-28, 11:10

I have recently started using palemoon after many years of using K-Meleon. With that browser i could go into the permissions tab and set a list of cookies that I wanted to block. With this version of PM I find that if I add a URL to the 'block' list that as soon as I shut the browser the list of blocked cookies has not saved. Any ideas?

Thanks
Martin

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Cookie control not working

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-28, 15:51

You might check your settings for clearing history.

If you are clearing Site Preferences, that would delete your cookie exceptions.

martinw2

Unread post by martinw2 » 2019-03-01, 11:02

I can't find a setting for "site preferences" as you mention. I have the privacy settings for "always use private mode". Would it not be better to have the cookie permissions tab similar to K-Meleon so that you can add cookie providers that you don't want and that the palemoon system would retain those settings when the browser closes?

Thanks

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-01, 11:54

martinw2 wrote:I can't find a setting for "site preferences" as you mention. I have the privacy settings for "always use private mode". Would it not be better to have the cookie permissions tab similar to K-Meleon so that you can add cookie providers that you don't want and that the palemoon system would retain those settings when the browser closes?

Thanks
Using Private mode nothing is saved. Cookies, history, whatever.
You can use "Cookies Manager+ 1.14.3" to easily add sites to the exception list only not in private mode.

If you have JustOffs Classic Add-ons Archive installed,
caa:addon/cookies-manager-plus
"paste into address bar"

Or install it from here,
https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases

Or try "Cookie Masters version 2.0.1 "
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/cookiemasters/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-01, 22:02

billmcct wrote:...easily add sites to the exception list only not in private mode.

That's not correct. The cookies themselves aren't saved.
But cookie permissions can be added in private browsing mode and be retained across sessions, and also remain accessible after leaving private browsing mode. I confirmed it in a test profile. (and see 1, 2)

martinw2 wrote: Would it not be better to have the cookie permissions tab similar to K-Meleon so that you can add cookie providers that you don't want and that the palemoon system would retain those settings when the browser closes?

Pale Moon does have this function.
(using a cookie extension is for convenience)

To manage cookie exceptions globally:
Set the browser to "use custom settings for history" to make the UI for that available:
Preferences > Privacy > History tab > Pale Moon will: "Use custom settings for history"
(and modify at least one setting before clicking OK, to make 'custom settings mode' stick)
pvtbrowsing-cookie-exceptions.png
To set cookie exceptions for just the site you're currently on:
Use the Permissions section of the Page Info panel, which can be accessed in several ways:
  • Click on the site's Identity button/favicon > click More Information... (button) > Permissions
    or
  • Right-click > from the context menu select View Page Info > Permissions
    or
  • Menu bar > Tools menu > Page Info > Permissions
    IDbutton-moreinfo.png
    pageinfo-cookies.png

martinw2 wrote:I can't find a setting for "site preferences" as you mention. I have the privacy settings for "always use private mode".

The UI for clearing History is greyed out in private mode.
But the settings can still be accessed in about:config...
  • Open a tab, type about:config in the address bar; hit Enter;
  • Filter on: privacy.clearOnShutdown.siteSettings and make sure that it's set to the default value, false.
    (If it's set to true, right-click on it and choose Reset from the context menu.)
  • Next filter on privacy.cpd.siteSettings and set that to false as well if it's not already.
  • The two settings should look like this:
    aconfig-siteSettings.png
In addition, if you use any privacy-related extensions, extensions concerned with "cleaning" the browser / clearing History or similar, check their settings carefully too.

For info, if you exit private mode...

The settings for clearing History on shutdown are accessed via:
  • Preferences > Privacy > History tab > "Use custom settings for history"
  • Then tick the box next to "Clear history when Pale Moon closes" >
  • And click the Settings... button to specify what should get cleared.
    prefs-clearOnShutdown-settings.png
And settings to clear History on demand are found under
History > Clear Recent History... (or via keyboard: Ctrl+Shift+Delete) >
then click "Details" to expose the categories of History/Data.
menu-clearHx.png
clear-recent-history.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinw2

Unread post by martinw2 » 2019-03-08, 19:00

Thank you for the suggestions. I am in the process of moving so not had chance to get back to the forum.

Martin