Palemoon and CPU in IDLE

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Palemoon and CPU in IDLE

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-02-27, 03:26

Hello,

I don't know from what version of Palemoon I have “issue“ , but my CPU in IDLE is still on 4-8% using when I have open only Palemoon with for ex. Facebook and Youtube tab. And not go to 0%.
Sometimes this CPU usage is, when I am using Palemoon for awhile, but it's strange. I have i7 4710HQ , 8GB RAM on Windows 7 PRO x64bit. Only fix this issue is restart Palemoon.

Thank you in advance.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Palemoon and CPU in IDLE

Unread post by van p » 2019-02-27, 06:45

Not sure what your problem is exactly. Right now I have only Pale Moon and Task Manager open. With nothing going on (no typing, for example), the CPU heading at the top of Task Manager varies from 1-5%. The CPU percentage for Pale Moon is 0 or just above. Once I start typing or navigating screens those numbers go up. Pale Moon is taking about 326 MB of memory, BTW. Don't know if this is good or bad, or just is.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-27, 07:38

It might be that the sites you are visiting have some code executing in background.
Considering you are using social media, it's not strange.
What happens if you have Pale Moon showing only about:blank?

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-02-27, 17:16

vannilla wrote:It might be that the sites you are visiting have some code executing in background.
Considering you are using social media, it's not strange.
What happens if you have Pale Moon showing only about:blank?
I am using BarTab Tycho extension and I tried unload all tabs and keep only blank page. Palemoon still eating 5-8% of CPU.
Yes in the Task Manager shows 5% on PM in Processor column.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-27, 19:24

Actually looking at my system, my Pale Moon also has a ~5% cpu usage, so I'd say it's normal.
And if I think about it, Pale Moon has legitimate reasons for this kind of activity, like automatic updates, the javascript garbage collector, and a bunch of other "invisble" activities that are necessary to make the program behave as intended.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2019-02-27, 19:32

vannilla wrote:Actually looking at my system, my Pale Moon also has a ~5% cpu usage, so I'd say it's normal.
And if I think about it, Pale Moon has legitimate reasons for this kind of activity, like automatic updates, the javascript garbage collector, and a bunch of other "invisble" activities that are necessary to make the program behave as intended.
So this usage is should be a Meltdown and Spectre fix? I have older Intel video drivers from my laptop manufacturer (Lenovo Y50-70) , which has not a Meltdown and Spectre fix. Because, when I googling about CPU usage, meltdown and spectre fix slow down CPU about 30% of performance.

Btw. for example Steam as you see on screen above, in IDLE is on 0%.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-02, 20:39

Pale Moon will always use some CPU even if you're not actively interacting with it. If meltdown and spectre fixes cripple your intel cpu then this usage may be shown with amplified numbers, but that's not something deliberate in the application.
The browser is a very complex piece of software with many background tasks, some of which only trigger when you leave it idle so as to not interfere with your browsing (e.g. font list enumeration, bookmark backups, places database maintenance)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-03-03, 07:15

For me: 3 profiles open simultaneously / 19 windows /1-2 tabs active per window/ not logged in Facebook
CPU < 3% in IDLE for Pale Moon
https://streamable.com/sdwed
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64