Netflix not working with Basilisk

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Netflix not working with Basilisk

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2019-02-19, 03:36

Hello,

I am having trouble viewing Netflix with Basilisk. I keep getting; "Basilisk is installing components need to play the audio or video on this page. Please try again later." Widevine was automatically updated on 14-Feb-19. Could this be the problem?

Netflix works perfectly with Pale Moon.

Please help!

Thank you.

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: Netflix not working with Basilisk

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2019-02-19, 03:41

Widevine just updated again but Netflix still doesn't work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-19, 04:58

Netflix on Pale Moon still uses Silverlight. The EME DRM issue is being tracked here Issue 962.
Off-topic:
Fucking DRM...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-19, 05:55

While we are working on the EME DRM licensing/API issue, you should do the following:
  • Go to Preferences -> content, and uncheck "Play DRM content"; this disables Google Widevine/HTML5 DRM
  • Install Silverlight 5 from https://www.microsoft.com/Silverlight/
  • Restart the browser, and check if the Silverlight plug-in is present in Add-ons -> plugins
  • Revisit Netflix, and ignore the infobar telling you to enable DRM
  • When Silverlight asks you to play protected content, allow it.
That should set you up for using Silverlight for Netflix.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2019-02-22, 17:32

Hello,

I appreciate the help but it does not work. I already have the latest version of Silverlight and it works well in Pale Moon. It is shown as available in Basilisk as well. It doesn't matter if I uncheck play DRM content or not. Either way Netflix tells me that I have to enable it. If it is checked it try's to play but stalls. Unchecked it just says "Oops something went wrong, try again." and gives an error code.

I can just use Pale Moon. Plus I have a version of ForecastFox(Fix) running on it even though you cannot add or change locations anymore. I wish that I new how to fix it or get the developer to fix it. He went with the new Mozilla style.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Nick

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-22, 19:04

Nick2018 wrote:I already have the latest version of Silverlight and it works well in Pale Moon. It is shown as available in Basilisk as well. It doesn't matter if I uncheck play DRM content or not. Either way Netflix tells me that I have to enable it.

Here is something to try (which I can't test because I don't have a Netflix account)...

Pale Moon has coded-in site-specific user agent overrides for netflix.com and netflximg.net through which it spoofs itself to Netflix as being Firefox 45.9.

You can see them in Pale Moon if you open about:config and filter on general.useragent.override.netfl
netflix-UAOs-PM.png

Possibly if you add the same overrides to Basilisk, Netflix will work for Basilisk the same as it does for Pale Moon.

UA override for netflix.com

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.netflix.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

UA override for netflximg.net

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.netflximg.net

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

If you need instruction on how to do this, take a look at this post which concerns a different site and override, and adapt the directions.

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2019-02-23, 13:21

Hi Coffeebreak,

Your suggestion worked like a charm! I ignored the activate DRM and then tried to view Netflix. I had to activate Silverlight and the video started playing.

Thank you very much!

Now if I could only find out how to fix ForecastFox(Fix) and save all of my extensions that I use that are no longer available.

Thank you again!

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-02-27, 11:03

Nick2018 wrote: Now if I could only find out how to fix ForecastFox(Fix) and save all of my extensions that I use that are no longer available.
Try this thread to set forecast fox to your location.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=21052
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Nick2018
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nick2018 » 2019-03-05, 02:39

Bill,

Thank you for the thread. It worked great once I figured out a few things. Do you know what the symbol is that looks like quotation marks but not exactly? This had me confused until I just copied it.

Thanks.

Nick

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-03-05, 10:52

I don't know. All mine has is quotation marks " ".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda