28.3.0 (x64) No more search suggestions Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Oneinunity

28.3.0 (x64) No more search suggestions

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2019-01-18, 11:26

When typing in the search box a search suggestions box pops up, but text is no longer appearing in it. The pop-up does change its size, depending on the apparent number of suggestions available. This happens with DuckDuckGo search. So far I have not tried this with other search engines yet.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: 28.3.0 (x64) No more search suggestions

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-18, 11:59

I use DDG in my search box and the suggestions show up correctly for me. No change from before. PM 28.3.0 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit build 1803.

Have you tried disabling all of your add-ons to see if one of them may be causing the issue?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2019-01-18, 14:05

No, I have not, so far. I use many extensions and they are all useful for me. Disabling extensions to find an issue would consume a lot of time, during which the computer is unavailable for my regular work, so I would only do that with an issue that is giving me lots of trouble. This one does not, so I'm merely reporting the issue. I'm using the same configuration as you do, except the Windows 10 version, which recently upgraded to version 1809.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-18, 14:08

Instead of disabling extensions one by one, you can also try restarting the browser in Safe Mode. That's a faster option to temporarily disable and re-enable all add-ons.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2019-01-18, 14:15

I may try later on, though. Too busy at the moment...
Last edited by Oneinunity on 2019-01-18, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2019-01-18, 14:19

All right, thanks for the suggestion. Running in Safe Mode now and the search suggestions show up as usual again, so apparently there is an extension causing this. Thanks again, I will sort it out later.

Oneinunity

Unread post by Oneinunity » 2019-01-21, 16:00

So now I tested the most likely possibility first and indeed: The problem is caused by Pale Moon's own Compact Moon theme, that apparently needs an update. Reverting to the standard theme brought the search suggestions back. :thumbup: