Can not watch CBS, Netflix, and Hulu

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
tamilyn007

Can not watch CBS, Netflix, and Hulu

Unread post by tamilyn007 » 2019-01-14, 08:54

I can no longer watch CBS as of the last update. It comes up with this error, { dash.js Error. Type = mediasource, ID = Unknown, Message = Unknown } Hulu comes up with Error code: 5003 and Netflix when I click on something to watch I just get a black screen. I can watch all of these on Firefox with no problems. Netflix stopped working with the last update as well, Hulu is new. Please help.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Can not watch CBS, Netflix, and Hulu

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-14, 21:05

Concerning CBS...

See if this thread, pg2 helps.

Use Native user agent mode for cbs.com, and make sure that Flash Player is installed/enabled.

tamilyn007

Unread post by tamilyn007 » 2019-01-15, 01:19

Thanks, but I don't get it. Just posted this on the other thread you suggested. I did not see that thread when I posted this one. "First thing, I am computer illiterate. I have read this whole thread and don't understand. When I try to play a video on CBS, I get this error, { dash.js Error. Type = mediasource, ID = Unknown, Message = Unknown }. My flash player is updated, but don't know how to check to see if it is activated. I have tried the native mode and the other one and it doesn't work. I have no idea how to do an override and no clue what Basilisk is except for a mythical creature that turns you to stone. So I'm a geek with a technology impairment, don't even have a cell phone. I've been watching on firefox because netflix and hulu don't work either on my palemoon. HELP!!"

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2019-01-20, 10:02

I'm also having this issue.

I can't watch Netflix using the latest PM update. I have Silverlight installed, but Netflix says I have a DRM error. :? I haven't had this issue with previous versions of the browser.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-01-20, 10:48

These are all separate systems not interconnected with each other and should be handled separately.

For netflix, try logging in and watching something from Internet Explorer then try Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-20, 12:34

For netflix, I just checked and can watch Netflix with Silverlight on 28.3.0 without any issues -- nothing has changed in that respect. (In fact, I'll probably go watch "IO" on Netflix tonight)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2019-01-20, 21:51

It works on Edge, but not PM. Netflix tells me to go to this support page.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight. It still doesn't work.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-21, 17:32

What version of Silverlight?

Does about:plugins show that it is installed?
Is it enabled?
Does it work elsewhere?

What version (& bitness) of PM?
URL of a particular "netflix" that does not play?

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2019-01-21, 17:46

therube wrote:What version of Silverlight?
Latest version.
Does about:plugins show that it is installed?
Is it enabled?
Yes.
Does it work elsewhere?
I'm not sure what other sites use Silverlight. :?
What version (& bitness) of PM?
28.3.0, 64-bit
URL of a particular "netflix" that does not play?
All of them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-21, 17:48

Please understand that Silverlight for IE is a completely different thing than Silverlight for other browsers.
You need to install the plugin for "Firefox" or "NPAPI" or whatever way Microsoft designates our class of browsers, and make sure you use the correct bitness (32-bit or 64-bit matching the browser).

Also, Netflix might be confused if it is not "Always enabled". setting it to "Ask to activate" might not work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-21, 20:59

If Silverlight is installed, running, https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverligh ... ll/Default should display its' version number.

Silverlight "plugin" is named, npctrl.dll & would be in a place like, Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight.

32-browser needs 32-bit silverlight.
64-browser needs 64-bit silverlight.

Seems Silverlight 64 installs both 32 & 64-bit versions & also includes both the "Netscape" plugin (npctrl.dll) & also whatever IE needs (.ocx). (Silverlight 32 only installs 32-bit.)

Different OS versions may be given different Silverlight versions.
Like XP is given 5.1.3 where Win7 gets 5.1.5.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2019-01-21, 23:54

therube wrote:If Silverlight is installed, running, https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverligh ... ll/Default should display its' version number.
Opening that page gives me the following message:

You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible with Microsoft Silverlight.

Okay... Why is it compatible for some people, but not others who use the same browser and version?

EDIT: I just tried this in Edge and it took me to that same page, even though it's installed and clearly working. :?
Moonchild wrote:Please understand that Silverlight for IE is a completely different thing than Silverlight for other browsers.
You need to install the plugin for "Firefox" or "NPAPI" or whatever way Microsoft designates our class of browsers, and make sure you use the correct bitness (32-bit or 64-bit matching the browser).
I have 64-bit, and it gives me no option for whether or not I want a plugin version. The page just says "Download for Windows" or "Download for Mac" and it just spits out a file for me to download.
After I install it, Silverlight does show up as a plugin in the Add-ons Manager.
Also, Netflix might be confused if it is not "Always enabled". setting it to "Ask to activate" might not work.
It's set to Always enabled.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-22, 00:51

I have 64-bit, and it gives me no option for whether or not I want a plugin version.
There is no separate installer for IE vs the others.
There is a single installer, either 32 or 64-bit.
64-bit installs both 32 & 64 bit versions, & both the .ocx for IE, & the .dll for all others.
(32-bit gives you the same, only 32-bit only, no 64.)

Oh, a Mac (of which I know nothing).
Then forget about the path I mentioned above. Maybe even the "dll" file name is different, but even if so, I'd expect it to at least be, similar?

Next maybe you'll tell us your version of PM, should that matter?
And which Mac version?

Create a new, clean Profile.
Then visit Netflix.
Does that work?

In that Profile, spoof your useragent, to a current FF version.
Does that change anything?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-01-22, 14:14

When this thread was started I check Netflix and got a DRM error. I have even gone back to the previous version of Silverlight, which was working fine before the update to PM 28.3 and Windows update installing the newer version of Silverlight, only to still get the DRM errors. Well hell, it still works fine in Ff 52x ESR and due to the fact that I rarely use a browser to watch Netflix, mostly watch on the TV apps, I'm through trying to figure it out.
Hope it gets worked out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-01-22, 16:45

No probs running Netflix here on PM 28.3.0 (x64) Win 8.1 (x64) using Silverlight plug in 5.1.50907.0 (last updated 03 May 2017)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-22, 17:01

(There is a 5.1.50918.0 version out.)

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2019-01-22, 18:39

therube wrote:(There is a 5.1.50918.0 version out.)
Yup, but if ain't broke... :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-23, 11:42

For the record, I'm using 5.1.50918.0 and it works perfectly fine (I don't have CBS or Hulu, but Netflix most definitely works)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-01-23, 13:31

Moonchild wrote:For the record, I'm using 5.1.50918.0 and it works perfectly fine (I don't have CBS or Hulu, but Netflix most definitely works)
Does it work on 32bit PM? I have tried 4 versions of Silverlight and get a DRM error on all versions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-23, 20:45

billmcct wrote:Does it work on 32bit PM? I have tried 4 versions of Silverlight and get a DRM error on all versions.
Yes it works on 32-bit PM. I just verified it with 28.3.1 x86 portable with the Silverlight version I mentioned.