Pale moon stops responding in some sites with heavy javascript

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
pelmun

Pale moon stops responding in some sites with heavy javascript

Unread post by pelmun » 2018-12-28, 12:23

There are many sites that makes Pale Moon unresponsive. Here is one where scrolling stops multiple times when comments are loading: https://snew.notabug.io/r/todayilearned ... onsmoking/. I think it's because of javascript.

Here is another, link is NSFW: https://twitter.com/misstylerxxx. This one is because it has lots of videos or gifs.

This happens in many other sites with heavy javascript or video, I just don't remember them now. I tested on new profile on so this should not be because of any add-ons.

I have checked and this issue does not happen on Firefox Quantum and Chromium on the same computer.

Pale Moon 32-bit latest installed
Windows 8.1 core 64-bit
Intel Core i3-4010U @ 1.70GHz with HD Graphics 4400
4 GB RAM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale moon stops responding in some sites with heavy javascript

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-28, 20:07

On-the fly loading of comments always pauses a browser, no matter which one.
Very heavy use of on-the-fly loading and playing of video has nothing to do with javascript, and pausing you experience there is of a completely different nature (likely also related to using integrated graphics and an entry-level CPU).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-12-28, 21:52

On the notabug link I hardly start reading the comments before I get this:
notabugio.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-12-28, 23:58

Twitter link works fine here. The other one also works, but you have to give it some time to load first. It takes 8-10 seconds on my PC, other systems will require less or more depending on CPU/GPU.

I could be wrong, but I think scrolling this page (and similar ones) with the mouse-wheel causes more problems (I also got the "unresponsive script" prompt) than scrolling by dragging the scroll-bar (no "unresponsive script"). I guess adding smooth scrolling to the equation does not help with such pages.

edit: if you use the 32-bit version of Pale Moon, try the 64-bit version. Intel drivers can be... curious. You could also try using the laptop manufacturer drivers, instead of the latest generic Intel ones (or vice-versa).

pelmun

Unread post by pelmun » 2018-12-30, 12:57

I understand what you are saying but Firefox Quantum and Chrome never hangs on any website (including mentioned links). Whenever some website makes the browser hang, I test that in all browsers and only Pale Moon and Firefox<57 (pre-quantum) shows this problem. Others work fine. Taking time to load is fine, but here the browser stops responding completely.

I will try solutions everyone here has mentioned. I posted this just to let Pale Moon developers know. Finally thanks everyone for the replies.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-12-30, 13:49

Not getting any JS warnings.

TIL is a bit slow to load, more so to "colorize".
Not really seeing much difference between browsers.

Twitter is a pig, everywhere, but does scroll more cleanly (though still not, clean) on FF 64.

i5-3570k, 16 GB, HD4000

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-12-30, 21:06

pelmun wrote:I understand what you are saying but Firefox Quantum and Chrome never hangs on any website (including mentioned links). Whenever some website makes the browser hang, I test that in all browsers and only Pale Moon and Firefox<57 (pre-quantum) shows this problem. Others work fine. Taking time to load is fine, but here the browser stops responding completely.

I will try solutions everyone here has mentioned. I posted this just to let Pale Moon developers know. Finally thanks everyone for the replies.
Those two browsers doesn't hang because the user interface and the web content are separated.
Moonchild discussed the problems that this approach creates already in a different thread.

pelmun

Unread post by pelmun » 2018-12-31, 13:36

vannilla wrote: Those two browsers doesn't hang because the user interface and the web content are separated. Moonchild discussed the problems that this approach creates already in a different thread.
Can you link that post? I want to read.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-12-31, 15:45

For example:
Moonchild wrote:It may keep the UI responsive even if a page misbehaves and maxes out a core in CPU usage, but that's thinking in small terms. The price to pay for it is that instead of the browser being slowed down, your entire system will be slowed down -- regardless of any of the opened pages misbehaving or not (and that in turn will, yes, also slow down the browser).
(source)

pelmun

Unread post by pelmun » 2019-01-01, 12:27

Nobody here will like what I am going to say, but I will still write.

I don't agree with this. As web technologies are changing with more js everywhere, this causes Pale Moon to have laggy scrolling in too many places (at least in some devices) and Firefox Quantum and Chrome works faster.

Firefox lost many people to Chrome (in desktop category) as it used to crash/hang when chrome didn't. That's the main reason Quantum was (had to be) made and they left all the extensions. Now Firefox does not have any of those issues and it's performance is as good as chrome if not better.

This is not just me saying. I have been to hacker news and other developer forums. They all say this. Nobody said that because of separate process, firefox quantum uses more ram and making their system slow. The response is opposite.

When you disregard everything that is opposite to your belief, it becomes an echo chamber which is not a good thing. That's what makes people believe that their information is the always right and leads to division like what is happening in real life (left/right and pro/against of anything). This community like many others, feels like an echo chamber.

I want to be clear that I am not saying that every browser should be a copy of chrome or have separate process like firefox. I am saying that what everyone here thinks, may not be true. There should be awareness about that to have real progress.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-01, 15:47

pelmun wrote:Can you link that post? I want to read.

Any of these forum searches finds it: multiprocess; or multi-process; or electrolysis; or e10s.

"Multi-process, or: the drawbacks nobody ever talks about."