View Page Source stopped working on POST responses [resolved, not a bug] Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Trupik

View Page Source stopped working on POST responses [resolved, not a bug]

Unread post by Trupik » 2018-11-28, 07:56

Before I was able to view Page Source code (Ctrl + U) of pages obtained by POST method. Recently that stopped working, it shows this message instead:
Document Expired
This document is no longer available.
The requested document is not available in Pale Moon’s cache.
As a security precaution, Pale Moon does not automatically re-request sensitive documents.
Click Try Again to re-request the document from the website.
When you click "Try Again", annoyingly enough, it does NOT repost the form to obtain the source, but does a GET request instead. It is now very cumbersome to debug POST requests in Pale Moon. The Firebug and the Inspector from the Web developer tools are rubbish in this regard - it does not let you see the actual source, but rather the DOM as the rendering core sees it, even if the response Content-Type is text/plain, the DOM looks like this, which is NOT what the server sent:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>...</head>
<body>
<pre>(here is the actual response from the server)</pre>
</body>
</html>
Here is the link that you can try this:
https://sandbox.araxon.sk/pm-post.php
Click the button, then try to obtain source. You should get one plaintext line, no HTML, no FORM. Nearly impossible with the recent Pale Moon.

And before you scold me, that it is a non-issue with plaintext - the same problem exists for HTML, JSON, XML, ... I want to see the actual response of the server, not some pre-chewed version of it. And the tiny window in the Response portion of the Network tab of the Inspector is hardly usable either.
Last edited by Trupik on 2018-11-28, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: View Page Source stopped working on POST responses

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-28, 08:50

The DOM inspector part will indeed display the document structure as-rendered, not as-received. That is by design because that is the purpose of the inspector.

However, calling up the page source of the response (or from the network tool using copy response, for that matter) displays a plaintext source as you want. It wouldn't make much sense to re-request what is already cached and in memory. Potentially your browser settings or extensions are interfering here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Trupik

Re: View Page Source stopped working on POST responses [resolved, not a bug]

Unread post by Trupik » 2018-11-28, 10:55

Thank you Moonchild. Somehow I had this config option "browser.cache.memory.enable" set to false. Reverting it back solved the issue. I have no clue how I managed to change it in the first place. Nothing specific regarding caches pops out of my mind.

The problem is solved, and it is not a bug. :oops: