Black screen after awhile on Facebook (Skylake 6700HQ) PM 28.*

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Black screen after awhile on Facebook (Skylake 6700HQ) PM 28.*

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-02, 14:43

Hello,

I have a big issue on my new laptop (Lenovo Y700 with i7 6700HQ, Nvidia GTX960M 4GB, 128GB M2SSD + 1TB HDD and 8 GB RAM) . Browser starts stuttering after awhile (the most on Facebook, for ex. scrolling is very laggy like 15 FPS) and then go to black screen without any UI (sometimes screen totally mess up first, like invert all colors on the screen or looks like 16bit color) so I can't close the browser, I must use Task Manager to kill PM in processes.
I had this problem on previous version of Palemoon (27.*) on MSI laptop with Skylake too. I sold it, because Youtube in older Palemoon lagging and blinking to black screen. Now I have new laptop and have similar issues :-( .

So, second laptop, differend brand, Skylake CPU and same problem. Anybody know where is the problem? Thank you in advance.

Btw. when I turn off HW acceleration in PM, I can watch in 4K on Youtube, but with HW acceleration On, I can watch max 1080p. So strange.

SGvagon

Re: Black screen after awhile on Facebook (Skylake 6700HQ) PM 28.*

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-02, 15:06

Here is a screenshots
Facebook tab when go black (gui invissible, but I still can switching between tabs - in other tabs gui is normal)
Attachment 1
And this happens for a 1 sec, when I switch from any website to black FB tab
Attachment 2
Attachments
FB tab.png
switch to FB tab.png
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-10-02, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-02, 15:07

Laptop is brand new and other apps is fully working. A have all drivers (including Intel display driver) . So its not a HW problem.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-02, 15:22

Post the troubleshooting info, it could be an extension(s) issue.
SGvagon wrote:Btw. when I turn off HW acceleration in PM, I can watch in 4K on Youtube, but with HW acceleration On, I can watch max 1080p. So strange.
Could be a video driver problem.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-02, 15:51

back2themoon: Yes, in clean PM portable youtube work properly. But facebook lagging as hell and goes to black screen.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-02, 16:55

Avoid using the portable version for troubleshooting.

1. First, try Safe Mode (see my signature) to see if everything works. I am talking about the standard version 28.1.0, not the portable.
2. Post the troubleshooting info. Unless you do that, there's not much anyone can tell you.
3. You can also try with a clean profile, but that is more advanced and you should back up your profile first.

Also, do you have any security software running? It may be interfering.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-02, 18:11

back2themoon wrote:Avoid using the portable version for troubleshooting.

1. First, try Safe Mode (see my signature) to see if everything works. I am talking about the standard version 28.1.0, not the portable.
2. Post the troubleshooting info. Unless you do that, there's not much anyone can tell you.
3. You can also try with a clean profile, but that is more advanced and you should back up your profile first.

Also, do you have any security software running? It may be interfering.
I tried everything that you post. In one word, Palemoon not designed to Skylake CPUs, I burned twice :crazy: , because these Skylake are the best for gaming on Windows 7 , but laptop manufactures I think that they happy it runs Windows 7 but other compatibility they not solved. Primary system they solving is only W10 now.

So I will return this laptop back to the eshop.

And I must searching much more for better laptop with compatibility CPU with Windows 7 and Palemoon.

I will not close this topic yet for others, that someone has same issue.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-02, 18:16

SGvagon wrote:
back2themoon wrote:2. Post the troubleshooting info. Unless you do that, there's not much anyone can tell you.
I tried everything that you post.
Not really everything.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-02, 18:24

SGvagon wrote:Palemoon not designed to Skylake CPUs
But this definitely looks like a GPU-related problem.

twigs
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by twigs » 2018-10-03, 16:13

SGvagon wrote:Laptop is brand new and other apps is fully working. A have all drivers (including Intel display driver) . So its not a HW problem.
In the original post, you said you had a nVidia GTX960M card, why mention the Intel display driver?

Try (re)-installing the nVidia driver, https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/138386, which is the latest one for your card. Don't bother with the GeForce Experience component (it's an option once you begin installing if you select 'Custom Install'). I am assuming you are running Windows 7 64-bit and not Windows 7 32-bit. If you want a different language, go to https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers and select the options you'd like.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-10-03, 16:40

twigs wrote:In the original post, you said you had a nVidia GTX960M card, why mention the Intel display driver?
Maybe because the Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU that their laptop uses comes with an integrated GPU. IIRC in such setups the dedicated GPU is usually not connected directly to the video output, instead it is connected to the integrated GPU that handles the video output. You would need both iGPU and dGPU drivers installed for such setup to work correctly. See also viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1462#p8346.
Intel and Intel Core are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. NVIDIA and GeForce GTX are trademarks of NVIDIA Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries
Last edited by yami_ on 2018-10-03, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-03, 17:17

Hybrid systems are always tricky. Compositing the NV rendered graphics on the desktop (using Intel) can actually be slower than just using the intel GPU and/or causing issues like what you've seen with black areas or strange texturing.

One thing you can try is making sure the browser only use the Intel graphics, and not the NV.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-03, 19:53

yami_ wrote:
twigs wrote:In the original post, you said you had a nVidia GTX960M card, why mention the Intel display driver?
Maybe because the Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU that their laptop uses comes with an integrated GPU. IIRC in such setups the dedicated GPU is usually not connected directly to the video output, instead it is connected to the integrated GPU that handles the video output. You would need both iGPU and dGPU drivers installed for such setup to work correctly. See also viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1462#p8346.
Intel and Intel Core are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. NVIDIA and GeForce GTX are trademarks of NVIDIA Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries
Exactly, Intel CPU have own integrated GPU ( Intel® HD Graphics 530 ) , for less power using instead of Nvidia GPU. As you said, when Nvidia not in use, is off.
But what strange is, when I try Palemoon on Lenovo Y50-70 with Core i5 4210H and with the same Nvidia GTX960M , it runs perfectly. So maybe Haswell has better compatibility performance for this generation of CPUs? Or there is some bug in Skylake CPU or drivers? Only Skylake doing these problems (tried only on W7) . I didn't saw Palemoon on Coffee lake or newer CPUs yet, but this is my own experience.

Btw. difference between H and HQ cpus is, that HQ has 4 cores (8 threads) and H only 2 (4 threads) . Maybe there is some performance issues (for. ex PM not using all threads perfectly than classic 2 core cpus) ?
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-10-03, 20:04, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-10-03, 20:43

For a moment, forget about CPU's, Skylake and cores. The problem is probably in the video driver(s) and how they interact with the GPU(s).

Once again, it could also be an extension problem... I see you have a few. Try Safe Mode, if posting the Troubleshooting info is too much.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-04, 13:04

back2themoon wrote:For a moment, forget about CPU's, Skylake and cores. The problem is probably in the video driver(s) and how they interact with the GPU(s).

Once again, it could also be an extension problem... I see you have a few. Try Safe Mode, if posting the Troubleshooting info is too much.
As I sad, I tried clean Palemoon Portable and problem is same. I had this problem on my previous laptop from MSI (GP62 6QF) with Skylake too. Last year, so before new PM 28.* . I wrote on MSI forum, Intel, here, everywhere (I am tried solving this problem maybe half a year) . Nobody know where is the problem, someone says in drivers, someone in W7 and Skylake, etc. . ... And now when I saw this problem on different laptop, I think that this problem is in between Skylake and Windows 7 (x64bit of course) . Tried lots of combinations drivers (official from laptop website and Intel) , Nvidia too) and about:config strings in Palemoon or Palemoon Commander.
I thought, that this problem is easy solvable too (I am not a novice in IT) , but it's not :think: .
I had laptop with i5 3210M (Ivy bridge) = no problem, then Haswell i5 4210H and i7 4720HQ = no problem, and now two laptops with Skylake (i7 6700HQ) and as you saw my screenshots, this problem is same on both laptops. All laptops had Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.
And as Moonchild says, hybrid systems (2 GPUs) are hard to optimize and its very tricky. So I will must buy some laptop where all is correct and working well.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-10-04, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-10-04, 13:17

can you not use Nvidia Control Panel to let Pale Moon only use integrated graphics?

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-10-04, 13:35

fillerup: Yes I tried it, but Facebook still goes to black screen. On Nvidia is better, but this method not good for laptop on battery. I sent laptop back to the eshop, so another solutions I can't try now.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-10-04, 13:40

for what it's worth, my PM runs without issues on a i7-7700HQ and a Nvidia 940MX hybrid system