28.1.0 - Creates duplicate icon on taskbar when previous version pinned

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
halcyon1234

28.1.0 - Creates duplicate icon on taskbar when previous version pinned

Unread post by halcyon1234 » 2018-10-01, 18:40

Windows 7 64bit

Was running previous "latest" Palemoon. (28. something).

Got the "upgrade" popup, so did so. 28.1.0 now installed.

I have Palemoon pinned to my taskbar. It points to "D:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"

After the upgrade, when the browser restarted, the pinned icon is still there, but non-active. All my palemoon stuff appears in separate task bar entries. It's like the new version is identified by Windows as "different" than the pinned icon. It's weird. They both point to the same place-- "D:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"

Image: https://i.imgur.com/ZkawGAI.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: 28.1.0 - Creates duplicate icon on taskbar when previous version pinned

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-02, 11:04

Did you perhaps pin the shortcut to your taskbar?

If so you can solve this as follows:
Start Pale Moon from the pinned shortcut. It will create a second taskbar entry as stated. Now, unpin the one you used to start the browser with, and pin the active browser taskbar entry.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite