Gif animation slows down browser GUI for seconds

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ResidentR6

Gif animation slows down browser GUI for seconds

Unread post by ResidentR6 » 2018-09-15, 07:08

Gif animation on web pages somehow clashes against GUI redrawing process and other pages redrawing. As result - the GIF hangs the interface for seconds, and hangs itself. On small GIFs it's not so notable, but on big ones (or amount of smalls) - the bug comes visible. In several seconds GUI unhangs, but objects that had to be redrawed - remain clean rectangles. After page reload - GUI doesn't hang, but GIF comes already hanged at exact that frame.
Cache cleaning doesn't help, same history repeats - at arbitrary frame of GIF, with GUI hanging again.
It has nothing to download process, when I get same GIF from a local drive - same history repeats.

Palemoon 28.0.1 (latest from stable channel) 32bit. Windows 7, CPU Core duo. This GIF
https://78.media.tumblr.com/5ba6a4d42bc ... 1_1280.gif
Last edited by ResidentR6 on 2018-09-15, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Gif animation slows down browser GUI for seconds

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-15, 10:17

No hangs at my end, using Pale Moon v28.0.1(x64), under Win8.1Pro.

Even this one, which is the biggest GIF that I could find (68.9 MB), displays just fine:
https://i.imgur.com/8q7EVG8.gif

--

EDIT:
One strange "issue" though..
If you simply click on the link that I posted (or right-click and select 'Open Link in New Tab'), then the GIF is displayed as a video.
But if you copy the link, and then paste it into PM's address bar, then it's displayed as a GIF!
HTTP referer related I guess.
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-09-15, 10:41, edited 3 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-09-15, 11:27

@ ResidentR6

I switched over to my windows hard drive using 32 bit Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1. After clicking on the link which you provided, the 1000 x 600 pixel GIF animation does not slow down or hang my PM browser.

FWIW, it also works without any problems in 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.0.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19 (Tara) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-15, 13:07

Even this one, which is the biggest GIF that I could find (68.9 MB), displays just fine:
That is not a .gif.
That is a .mp4 movie.

If you want to see how "gif" can really adversely affect you, One particular site throws PM 28 on its ear.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-15, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-09-15, 13:21

therube wrote:
That is not a .gif.
That is a .mp4 movie.
Obviously, you didn't read what I wrote under "EDIT".

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 15:26

i can confirm that the OP's report occurs the same way on a fresh PM 28.0.1 Win x64 profile. viewing it through the addon 'Imagus' works without a hitch, however

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-16, 12:22

Unable to reproduce. There are no issues with drawing large animated gifs or influence on the UI.

For those who can produce the issue: please post the output of help -> troubleshooting information (copy as text, kindly use the
tags).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-09-16, 12:41

No hangs here using.... PM 28.0.1(x64) on a Win 8.1(x64) system

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-16, 17:25

hmm, i just realized that my testing method is flawed - what i did was having the bookmark bar opened while opening up the .gif link, and try to repeatedly click the dropdown arrows. i just realized that if you click it too fast and DO NOT move the cursor, it doesn't accept the clicks and will appear to be frozen when this is actually not the case. (should i file this as a bug report?)

will test again when i get a chance
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-16, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.