Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Ser Olmy

Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread post by Ser Olmy » 2018-09-11, 18:25

OK, trying to do this by the book, since this is such a minor issue:

Platform: Windows 7 x86_64
Pale Moon version: 28.0.0 or later (tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions)
Steps to reproduce: Open 4-5 different websites in different windows, then select Restart from the Pale Moon menu
Expected result: Pale Moon should restart and reopen the same windows in the same order (the observed behaviour up to and including version 27.x.x).
Actual result: While the first window always opens first, the other windows seem to appear in a random order. This is reflected in the order the windows are displayed in the window list (the one that appears when hovering over the Pale Moon icon on the taskbar).

Believe it or not, but at least one user (me) finds this slightly annoying, as I regularly have 10+ browser windows open simultaneously and I've gotten used to finding them where I last saw them in the window list.

I considered not reporting this, but I do find it slightly worrisome when randomness suddenly appears as an element of application behaviour, especially considering how exceedingly hard it is to produce anything truly random in a computer program. :)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-11, 19:18

Last edited by therube on 2018-09-11, 19:21, edited 3 times in total.

Ser Olmy

Re: Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread post by Ser Olmy » 2018-09-11, 19:23

Oh great, so it's been reported several times already. In my defence, I didn't think to search for "taskbar buttons" or "taskbar icons" since I'm not using Aero and thus only see a list of window titles.