Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on the Windows operating system.

Moderator: satrow

Ser Olmy
New to the forum
New to the forum

Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread postby Ser Olmy » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 18:25

OK, trying to do this by the book, since this is such a minor issue:

Platform: Windows 7 x86_64
Pale Moon version: 28.0.0 or later (tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions)
Steps to reproduce: Open 4-5 different websites in different windows, then select Restart from the Pale Moon menu
Expected result: Pale Moon should restart and reopen the same windows in the same order (the observed behaviour up to and including version 27.x.x).
Actual result: While the first window always opens first, the other windows seem to appear in a random order. This is reflected in the order the windows are displayed in the window list (the one that appears when hovering over the Pale Moon icon on the taskbar).

Believe it or not, but at least one user (me) finds this slightly annoying, as I regularly have 10+ browser windows open simultaneously and I've gotten used to finding them where I last saw them in the window list.

I considered not reporting this, but I do find it slightly worrisome when randomness suddenly appears as an element of application behaviour, especially considering how exceedingly hard it is to produce anything truly random in a computer program. :)

therube
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread postby therube » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 19:18

Last edited by therube on Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 19:21, edited 3 times in total.

Ser Olmy
New to the forum
New to the forum

Re: Windows reopen in semi-random order on restart

Unread postby Ser Olmy » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 19:23

Oh great, so it's been reported several times already. In my defence, I didn't think to search for "taskbar buttons" or "taskbar icons" since I'm not using Aero and thus only see a list of window titles.

Return to “Bug reports (Windows)”