Vsync not working on PM 28.x

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Vsync not working on PM 28.x

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-09-02, 14:01

Hello,

I have problem with vsync after update on Palemoon 28. I have turn on HW acceleration, but when I scroll in pages, screen it totally messing.
I have this problem on my older laptop Lenovo G580 with Intel i5 3210M and Nvidia GT635M 2GB (on Lenovo Y50-70 with i5 4210H and GTX960M 4GB I don't have this problem)

Thank you in advance.

Btw. this problem I see much more on instagram with lots photos.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-09-02, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.

SGvagon

Re: Vsync not working on PM 28.x

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-09-02, 14:14

And yes,I tried clean Palemoon portable too, same problem here.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-09-02, 14:27

OK, I maybe solved it, but I don't know is it a right and safe solution.
In about:config a found layers.acceleration.force-enabled and I set it to TRUE . Then vsync works perfectly. Is it a bug? Because this string is set on FALSE by default.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-09-02, 14:28, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-02, 14:30

Off-topic:
An interesting read, VSYNC in Firefox 50.0.2 under Windows is broken.
Quite damning on Mozilla.
But then that's part of what makes it interesting ;-).

Any number of related bugs on bugzilla.
Some fixed (in 52), others against current FF & in limbo, possibly forever.
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-02, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-02, 14:57

SGvagon wrote:Because this string is set on FALSE by default.
It is set to false, because normally the browser will decide itself if it want to use hardware acceleration. Note that UXP based applications require DWM to be enabled for the vertical synchronization to work.
Off-topic:
therube wrote:An interesting read, VSYNC in Firefox 50.0.2 under Windows is broken.
I actually wanted to post this link here and ask if this can be fixed in UXP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-02, 16:12

Forcing layers acceleration when the detection routine finds that there is a problem doing so may cause unpredictable results.
SGvagon wrote:screen it totally messing.
In what way?
yami_ wrote:I actually wanted to post this link here and ask if this can be fixed in UXP.
That depends on if someone wants to tackle this. The vsynctester website seems to do just fine on my system ("VSYNC" is grey, and the tearing bar when enabled does not show any tearing.)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-09-02, 17:03

Moonchild: Messing by typically vsync problems (splitting screen in half) . If there more content (for ex.images) it is worse, but Force layers fix this problem.

Btw. but Vsync tester graph is OK when force layers is on False (but this tester is horizontal, not vertical? ) .
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-09-02, 17:08, edited 3 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-02, 19:51

Moonchild wrote:That depends on if someone wants to tackle this.
Well, I looked at the code but since I have never done any graphics-related programing I am most likely to break something...
Moonchild wrote:The vsynctester website seems to do just fine on my system ("VSYNC" is grey, and the tearing bar when enabled does not show any tearing.)
It looks like this on my end:
fig. 1
fig. 1
fig. 2 - note the arrow
fig. 2 - note the arrow
fig. 3 - note that Chromium is running with "D3D v-sync" enabled
fig. 3 - note that Chromium is running with "D3D v-sync" enabled

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-09-05, 17:41

So, any progress with this problem? Or is it safe to set layers.acceleration.force-enabled on TRUE now?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-06, 05:51

SGvagon wrote:So, any progress with this problem? Or is it safe to set layers.acceleration.force-enabled on TRUE now?
Only set force-enabled to true if you know for a fact that there are no problems with it on your system. otherwise let the browser detect it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite