28 Download Them All Stopped Working

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: 28 Download Them All Stopped Working

Unread post by doofy » 2018-11-05, 17:03

Norio wrote:
a)
You quoted a) when you should've quoted b)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-05, 17:13

At the same time, Pale Moon is not Firefox. As has been posted elsewhere, Firefox extension compatibility is a temporary measure. Eventually, when the browser updates, add-ons must update as well to remain compatible. This was the case with Firefox add-ons even when Firefox still supported XUL-based add-ons; the difference is that Pale Moon will continue to support the XUL-based add-on architecture that makes extensions such as DTA possible.

The proper solution here is for someone to fork DTA and officially maintain it for use with Pale Moon.
Last edited by Isengrim on 2018-11-05, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Norio

Unread post by Norio » 2018-11-06, 13:27

Makes sense to me--thanks for the feedback. I will look for forks and also bug the developer of DTA. And I will try using DTA 3.0.8 with PM28--I haven't done that yet.
Last edited by Norio on 2018-11-06, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-06, 16:48

There are no plans to remove the ability to install Firefox extensions in Pale Moon. Simply because the development team and contributors very much wish to go on.. living.

See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727

Norio

Unread post by Norio » 2018-11-07, 03:22

See: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727
Thanks for the informative link. This helps me to understand the Pale Moon Project's perspective on using extensions targeting Firefox.

It's a difficult balancing act. On the one hand, there's an "intention to keep compatibility with (unaltered) Firefox extensions high." But on the other, "unless the extension directly supports and targets Pale Moon, all Firefox extensions are considered to be unsupported." The emphasis is on PM "(now more so than ever)" being an unique application.

One of the reasons I enjoy using Vivaldi is because I can install Chrome-targeted extensions. But that capability comes with a trade-off: Vivaldi often looks & acts like a Chrome clone.

Certainly the path laid out by Moonchild will keep PM from becoming a clone, and "bringing the developers across to our neck of the woods to target Pale Moon directly" will help preserve the uniqueness of PM.