Pale Moon 28 Appcrash

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
WhatDoIKnow

Pale Moon 28 Appcrash

Unread post by WhatDoIKnow » 2018-08-20, 08:47

I read a few other threads about problems with the new update 28, but they indicated they are "solved", and it suggested opening a new thread.

I am on a old Asus Netbook Eee PC, which I have used since 2009, running an Atom 1.6Ghz, single core. It is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit now, as it has been for several years. I run both Firefox and Pale Moon, and both have worked until this update. I started using Pale Moon a year or so ago, because this netbook is maxed for memory at 2 GB and Firefox is often too demanding, and just sits there "not responding" for periods of time. I read that Pale Moon requires less resources, so I installed it.

Yesterday, I received a notice of a new update for Pale Moon, so I approved it. My system got stuck at "updating" or whatever it said, and the hard drive read/write LED was continuing on for 5 minutes or more, so I restarted the system. I then tried to open Pale Moon, but I got an nearly immediate APPCRASH. The results are below:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: palemoon.exe
Application Version: 4.1.4.6793
Application Timestamp: 5b699a8d
Fault Module Name: mozglue.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.1.4.6793
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b699a62
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 00003686
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I tried numerous uninstalls and reinstalls using several sources (the regular executable, the zipped version, etc) same problem every time I attempted to open the program.

I noticed people targeting NVidea graphics chips as the problem, which may be true, however, this netbook uses an Intel Graphics chip.

I do use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, however during one install and start I had it stopped, and it still crashed. I did not try uninstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.

After numerous attempts to get V. 28 to work, with no success, I removed it(so I can't provide any other details) and went back to 27.9.4 (32 bit) (I believe this was the last one for Windows 7 before 28). 27.8.4 appears to work fine.

I hope this can help in finding where the problems lie.

But,

WhatDoIKnow :crazy: