PM 28 is real slow Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Jottum

Re: PM 28 is real slow

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-08-29, 08:22

Moonchild wrote:I hope people realize that the following will definitely not result in anything being fixed:

Upgrade -> see a problem -> downgrade -> post on the forum "i'll wait a few versions for it to magically go away"

and that the following might result in things being fixed:

Upgrade -> see a problem -> post as much information as possible and work with the devs to find the cause
No I do not normally do that, but the first version 28 was about as quick as grease crawling up a wall. I had to reverse back to 27 whether I wanted or not. That said, the latest build works miracles on my machine, thank you so much for your efforts.

Jottum
Last edited by Jottum on 2018-08-29, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-29, 18:33

Jottum wrote:
No I do not normally do that, but the first version 28 was about as quick as grease crawling up a wall. I had to reverse back to 27 whether I wanted or not. That said, the latest build works miracles on my machine, thank you so much for your efforts.

Jottum
The problem your going to run into now, is that somewhere down the road your going to have some
issues with PM and come here to talk about it hoping for some help. The help is not going to know
that you downgraded 28 to 27 and then upgraded again back to 28 on that same profile.

From this point on, no one is going to be able to help you until you simply start a brand new profile and
rebuild it on 28. There are simply too many things that get broken in the profile when downgrading on
a major release. Sadly, we are now going to have to ask folks whether they did this before we can
even offer help anymore. What a Cluster Puck! :wtf:

This was clearly stated on the download page but most folks simply don't read.
I have browsed both the download page and the release notes and cannot find that
statement anymore. I have PM Moonchild to ask him about this. :think:

When I upgraded with the beta versions as a tester,
I saved a copy of my 27 profile so that if I did indeed need to downgrade,
I could simply delete the 28 profile and copy the old one back.
Therefore negating the possibility of future issues with the above described scenario.

I don't mean to be harsh about this, but we are now going to have a boat load of folks who come back
to the forum and try to get help for issues that may be very much caused by the downgrading of their
profile. At this point, everybody on this forum is going to have to ask the poster if they did this before
we can even offer any help at all. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-08-29, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-29, 20:07

@ Thehandyman1957

You are correct in your above comments with people going from 27 to 28, reverting back to 27 without creating new profiles. Those profile problems are sitting out there and there will make their presence known somewhere down the road.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Jottum

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-08-30, 05:02

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Jottum wrote:

Jottum
The problem your going to run into now, is that somewhere down the road your going to have some
issues with PM and come here to talk about it hoping for some help. The help is not going to know
that you downgraded 28 to 27 and then upgraded again back to 28 on that same profile.

From this point on, no one is going to be able to help you until you simply start a brand new profile and
rebuild it on 28. There are simply too many things that get broken in the profile when downgrading on
a major release. Sadly, we are now going to have to ask folks whether they did this before we can
even offer help anymore. What a Cluster Puck! :wtf:

This was clearly stated on the download page but most folks simply don't read.
I have browsed both the download page and the release notes and cannot find that
statement anymore. I have PM Moonchild to ask him about this. :think:

When I upgraded with the beta versions as a tester,
I saved a copy of my 27 profile so that if I did indeed need to downgrade,
I could simply delete the 28 profile and copy the old one back.
Therefore negating the possibility of future issues with the above described scenario.

I don't mean to be harsh about this, but we are now going to have a boat load of folks who come back
to the forum and try to get help for issues that may be very much caused by the downgrading of their
profile. At this point, everybody on this forum is going to have to ask the poster if they did this before
we can even offer any help at all. :thumbdown:
It could be I'm not getting you, but this is the first post I made about PM 28:
Jottum wrote:Not sure this is just me, but after updating yesterday to PM 28 the browser is very slow and gets slower with each tab I open. Even with one tab open there is a delay before loading the page that isn't there in PM 27 and it seems the longer PM is open the slower it gets.

I'm still on Windows 7 btw and for now I've reversed back to PM 27 because of the quite severe slowness. For the record, PM is amazing!

Jottum
So I don't think you're harsh but I've never had a problem with downgrading. Before I upgrade I always make System Restore Point and went back to before the PM install to downgrade. If this gives profile issues I've never experienced them. PM 28 was so slow, it was unworkable on my machine, so like I said I had no choice but to reverse back.

Jottum

Just to keep everybody happy, I deleted all Pale moon folders as per this post after an uninstall and then reinstalled everything. Version 28.0.0.1 still works great.
Last edited by Jottum on 2018-08-30, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-31, 01:51

Sorry, I didn't mean to unload on you particularly, so please forgive me if it came across that way. :oops:

The major issue is folks in the last few days have just jumped back to PM 27 and in most cases
have not made any type of back up for their profile before doing it. I'm not sure if Restore point
actually changes the profile folder or not. I personally would not trust it and would make a copy
of your actual profile folder for PM 27 use.

My frustration is that as time goes by, folks are going to come back and try PM again when
they think things are better and upgrade their PM 27 that was downgraded from PM 28
and then come here when issues arise and we will not know that this has happened.

I'm glad you took the advise and made a new profile for your PM. It will save you many
headaches later. By the way, I think they are close to figuring out at least some of the
reasons you were having problems. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. :angel:

Jottum

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-08-31, 08:34

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to unload on you particularly, so please forgive me if it came across that way. :oops:

The major issue is folks in the last few days have just jumped back to PM 27 and in most cases
have not made any type of back up for their profile before doing it. I'm not sure if Restore point
actually changes the profile folder or not. I personally would not trust it and would make a copy
of your actual profile folder for PM 27 use.

My frustration is that as time goes by, folks are going to come back and try PM again when
they think things are better and upgrade their PM 27 that was downgraded from PM 28
and then come here when issues arise and we will not know that this has happened.

I'm glad you took the advise and made a new profile for your PM. It will save you many
headaches later. By the way, I think they are close to figuring out at least some of the
reasons you were having problems. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. :angel:
I was not the least insulted by your remarks, you guys do a great job helping out the troubled with great advice. Thank you very much for that. Now that you say it, I have no proof either what restore point actually does according to PM profile, but like I said I had no problems... for now. :)

It was only 15 minutes to do a clean install, so why bother to continue, with the risk of God knows what kind of misery might lie ahead? I just installed the 28.0.1 update and it seems even more responsive, so I'm very pleased with PM as I've been for years.

I would like to thank the developer(s) again for their great work and their amazing response time and all the volunteers that put in so much effort here on the forum.

Jottum

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-31, 08:59

Please try the newly released Pale Moon 28.0.1 and report back.

Jottum

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-08-31, 09:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Please try the newly released Pale Moon 28.0.1 and report back.
Hi, I suppose you are talking to me, but you may have missed this in my previous post:
Jottum wrote:
[...]

I just installed the 28.0.1 update and it seems even more responsive, so I'm very pleased with PM as I've been for years.
I'm on it now for about an 2 hours or so and it works just great. Version 28.0.0.1 was doing fine already but this one is overall as fast as was version 27 on my configuration. Wonderful job!

Jottum

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-31, 09:38

I spammed the forum.. but thanks.. Make sure to mark as solved.

Jottum

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-08-31, 09:53

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I spammed the forum.. but thanks.. Make sure to mark as solved.
Done!

Jottum

pm4eva
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by pm4eva » 2018-09-01, 05:56

PM 28.0.1 works now. Even in YT no freezes til now.
But i still use FF 38 useragent for YT cos its faster.

The theory with new profiles or bad hardware i never thought it would be the reason.
Just try it with a new PM portable without any addons and you can compare.
Last edited by pm4eva on 2018-09-01, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
thx and greets

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2018-09-01, 06:57

It's working, probably better than ever. A big thank you.

And a nice effect: I purged the old profile, which started with a very early firefox. Lot's of garbage is gone.

Jottum

Unread post by Jottum » 2018-09-01, 08:00

karlkracher wrote:It's working, probably better than ever. A big thank you.

And a nice effect: I purged the old profile, which started with a very early firefox. Lot's of garbage is gone.
That is my experience also, after a day or so of working with it. Version 28.0.1 is actually more responsive and faster then version 27 ever was. Kudos for the team!

Jottum