v28 Windows taskbar button order

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on the Windows operating system.

Moderator: satrow

vilius
Moongazer
Moongazer

v28 Windows taskbar button order

Unread postby vilius » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 17:02

Hello,

PM: v28.0.0 64bit

I keep lots of palemoon windows open like 30 at a time. When I need to restart PM I always retain open windows by doing File->Exit and starting PM again.
PM v27.9.4 always retained exact same windows taskbar button order between restarts.
PM v28 taskbar button order is random - changes every restart.
It would be great to retain taskbar button order like PM v27.9.4.

Thanks,
Vilius M.
Last edited by vilius on Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: v28 Windows taskbar button order

Unread postby therube » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 17:32

vilius
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby vilius » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 17:47

Welcome to the world of async, where initialization order is not deterministic.

I'm not getting - how v27.9.4 brings ordered taskbar buttons then (just checked on other pc) ?

therube
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby therube » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 17:58

27 & 28 are different.

In 27 taskbar ordering, works.
In 28 taskbar ordering does not work.

Hopefully it can be fixed.

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Unread postby JustOff » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 18:05

I do not have such a problem using more then dozen of the extension buttons, and in order to understand your issue, we need to get an example with a minimal set of extensions that, when installed in a clean profile, lead to loss of position when restarting.

Sorry, I don't seem to have read the description of the problem carefully.
Last edited by JustOff on Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

therube
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby therube » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 18:19

STR: viewtopic.php?p=144556#p144556
(I have not tested in 28 Release.)

Oh, & to be clear, this is the ordering of the PM window icons along the Windows taskbar.
(Also, the Windows taskbar is set not to "group" [similar taskbar buttons] icons, or whatever it says/does by default.)
Last edited by therube on Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 18:25, edited 5 times in total.

vilius
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread postby vilius » Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 18:49

It doen't matter if taskbar grouping is on or off - if it's on you hover mouse on single "grouped button" and you get grouped aplication button list which is ordered or not - so it's the same.

Cycler

Unread postby Cycler » Mon, 27 Aug 2018, 09:25

I can confirm the problem for me as well.

I have around 50 windows with a total of about 300 tabs.
Starting with version 28, the individual order gets "randomised" the next time I start PM.

If you pay attention to when it closed (File -> Exit) it closed windows in a random order which is probably why the order is different the next time.
While I can manage, I can understand why this would be a deal-breaker to update if you have different tasks in different windows.

Thankfully the first window is always the same. (Main news, monitoring tabs)

The Release Notes said to post in the forum but can we know if there is a bug-number assigned or something?

I looked at the other thread and the fact that it always worked in PM 27 (or at least most of the time, there were occasions when it got the current window messed up) says it is a recent thing.

I would be happy to test builds out if needed.

Regards,
Christian

29 Skidoo
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby 29 Skidoo » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 12:57

For the past several months (sorry, did not keep track of versions -- my life is currently dealing with some very serious major crises) I have had a possibly somewhat related problem -- random browser windows would not open when I'd restart the browser.

For example, if I had 14 windows open when the browser closed, I might only have 10 open when it restarted.

One strange "feature" to this was that the non-opened windows did seem to be running -- if I typed in part of the title or URL into the address bar, I'd get a list of possible matches, and if I typed in just the right thing, I'd see a tab on a "closed" window, with the "Switch to tab" option.

When I clicked on it, the window would open, with all its tabs displayed!

Since most of the time, I'd get the "sorry" window when I started the browser, I devised a nightmarish system in which I manually copied the first part of the title of the first few tabs of each open window to a text file. I would then compare them with the ones displayed in the lists of windows/tabs shown in the "sorry" screen, so that I'd know which ones to manually resurrect via the address bar entry workaround.

If I was able to constantly remember the hundreds of tabs in the numerous windows this would not be necessary, but, alas...

I seem to have finally resolved this by activating the session manager in Tab Mix Pro, rather than using the built-in session manager. So far, it seems to be working OK (by which I mean, each time I've compared the number of windows when closing/opening, they matched).

I mention this because I think it's something you might want to try, to see if it resolves the issue you're having with window opening.
Last edited by 29 Skidoo on Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bug reports (Windows)”