Freezing from resource usage spikes.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
RexyDallas
Moonbather
Moonbather

Freezing from resource usage spikes.

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2018-06-19, 23:14

Some time ago, I made a bug report about random freezing. I now know that random freezing is caused by resource usage spikes. Though it doesn't always happen, when it starts happening, I have to restart the browser for it to stop happening. The browser will have CPU and memory spikes from basically any activity, including opening a new tab, typing text, navigating to a URL, or pausing/playing a YouTube video. Sometimes, it spikes for seemingly no reason.

To give an idea of how big the spike is, the idle CPU usage will be around, say, 10-15 percent, and the base ram usage will be 2,000-2,500MB. When I do basically anything, the CPU usage will spike to 30-35%, and the ram usage will spike to 3,000-3,500 MB.
Last edited by RexyDallas on 2018-06-19, 23:18, edited 5 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Freezing from resource usage spikes.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-20, 00:13

I'm sorry but we can't really do anything with your report as it doesn't contain any usable details.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Freezing from resource usage spikes.

Unread post by vannilla » 2018-06-20, 06:50

Though we can always reccomend as usual to try using safe mode or a clean profile and report back.
Worst it can happen is that nothing changes.