Pale Moon Shortcut Icon Disappearing in Windows 7 Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Patrick Humphreys

Pale Moon Shortcut Icon Disappearing in Windows 7

Unread post by Patrick Humphreys » 2018-05-01, 21:53

I have just started using Pale Moon, having installed it earlier today.

I am running Windows 7 Pro on a ThinkPad X220, and followed the quick installation procedure when installing the browser. I have optimised the browser to my own taste somewhat, merely by switching to dark theme and moving the layout around. I have not tinkered with anything important.

After having the browser installed for only a few hours, I noticed that the 'moon' shortcut icon had disappeared and been replaced by an 'image not found' icon. The same is true when I locate Pale Moon in the Start menu or palemoon.exe in Program Files. However, when I right click and go into Properties, the 'moon' icon is present, but only within the Properties window. Attempting to change the icon via Properties does nothing to the shortcut icon itself. No matter what, any Pale Moon shortcuts on my system show an 'image not found' icon, as if the icon file had been lost. But I checked, and it's still there. It's as if the shortcut doesn't want to remember the 'moon' icon, and it just fails to load.
Pale Moon Icon 1.jpg
Pale Moon Icon 2.jpg
Pale Moon Icon 4.jpg
Pale Moon Icon 3.jpg

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Pale Moon Shortcut Icon Disappearing in Windows 7

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-01, 22:32

Have you tried restarting windows? This happens to me with other programs and a restart solves it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Patrick Humphreys

Unread post by Patrick Humphreys » 2018-05-01, 22:49

That was the first thing I tried. To no avail, I'm afraid.

BlueOwl

Unread post by BlueOwl » 2018-05-01, 23:06

@Patrick Humphreys, I've had this issue before. See if this helps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ave-become

Patrick Humphreys

Unread post by Patrick Humphreys » 2018-05-01, 23:26

Success! Thank you very much.

I figured it was a Windows issue more so than a browser issue. Loving my Pale Moon experience so far, by the way.

Thanks for the help!