4chan.org Broken by latest update

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
vuubik

4chan.org Broken by latest update

Unread post by vuubik » 2018-04-02, 12:28

As the title says- the site no longer works- I thought it was my copy of Greasemoneky for Pale Moon, so I tried the earlier official still compatible version, but that didn't work either with the script 4chan X, so the newest update was to blame.
Can you guys put in a rollback feature so if this happens in future I don't have to wait for a new update to fix my browsing?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: 4chan.org Broken by latest update

Unread post by satrow » 2018-04-02, 13:28

Please define exactly what 'doesn't work', screenshots can be useful.

A quick look around 4chan, W7 Pale Moon 27.8.3 x64, reveals no obvious differences to my previous visits there.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-04-02, 15:32

vuubik wrote:Can you guys put in a rollback feature so if this happens in future I don't have to wait for a new update to fix my browsing?
Rollback is not a normal use case, so adding support for it makes little sense considering that building a feature requires a developer to work on it (and that may in turn hamper the regular development of the browser). You will not see such a feature soon unless Pale Moon team grows significantly.

If you want to try an older version of Pale Moon, see here.
Last edited by adesh on 2018-04-02, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-02, 20:06

Does the problem persist in Safe Mode?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-02, 20:16

Empty statements like it doesnt work without giving any form of explanantion of what exactly does not work and your modus operandi would be useful too,
what extensions do you have installed.?
Have you tried without extensions enabled ?

have you tinkered in about:config for example.

shot in the dark posts like this require shot in the dark responses which only leaves us guessing and chasing our own tails.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-04-02, 21:53

No Web-console errors - site works normally here. It is possible to write answers, if you mark certain text and click to answer, text appears in the answer field. So, seen from my point of view, the site is fully operational.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-04-02, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-06-02, 12:33

I know I'm bumping a slightly older thread, but a few weeks back I've noticed the frames version of 4chan not working at all.
https://4chan.org/frames

It displays a white frame on the left, and a white frame on the right, both about equal width.
Viewing the source shows the content is missing, and likely a JS fill problem. The console shows no JS errors (no errors of any kind actually).

If I visit https://4chan.org without the frames, the site redirects to the frames site with the same results.

If I visit a board directly without frames https://4chan.org/o (SFW automotive section) then the site seems to work normally (albeit without frames) except many of the thumbnails, when clicked, won't load the larger image, and instead a user-friendly 404 notice is displayed at the top of the screen.

I have confirmed this on multiple machines (some that never had NoScript installed). I'm up-to-date using 64-bit Pale Moon 27.9.2. I have ABPrime installed on all of the setups I've tested with (subscribed to EasyList).
Changing from the "Firefox Compatibility" User Agent to "Native" doesn't change anything.

I have a buddy who tested with MS Edge for me and the site works fine for him. I'm finally on a machine with Firefox (I don't run any add-ons or plugins with FIreFox), and it too displays the frames site just fine.
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-06-02, 13:33, edited 11 times in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-06-02, 12:47

Okay, I figured out how to enter Safe Mode, and the site works quite well there. Let me see if I can narrow this down some more...

Edit: Well, disabling ABPrime 1.0.5 allows the site to work perfectly. Like clockwork, enabling it again causes the site to misbehave as described. I'll see about updating EasyLIst and maybe post in the ABPrime thread.

Edit 2: Disabling ABPrime for 4chan only also lets the site work properly, so I'm thinking it's an EasyList problem and not an ABPrime problem. I'll try posting to their forum. https://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=40926
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-06-02, 14:41, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-02, 13:43

EasyList is becoming more and more of an issue. Not so "easy"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-06-02, 15:57

BenFenner wrote:https://4chan.org/frames
It works just fine with EasyList in uBlock Origin.
Last edited by Tomaso on 2018-06-02, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-06-02, 18:39

Yah, the folks at EasyList had me do a little more testing, and it seems the issue is with ABPrime itself. I will post in the appropriate thread to alert Tobin.
Edit: Or maybe not. Seems Tobin is banned? Or maybe that was a secondary account that got banned? Looks like I'll just report a bug to the project on GitHub https://github.com/binoc-central/abprime/issues/5 .
At the worst, I'll just stick with AdBlock Latitude for a while.

Pertinant testing from the EasyList forum:
BenFenner wrote: I've tried with Firefox Portable 60.0.1 and uBlock Origin 1.16.8 and the problem does not present with this setup.
I then replaced ABPrime on my Pale Moon setup with AdBlock Latitude (AdBlock Plus tweaked a little to work with Pale Moon) and still the problem does not present with this setup.

So, I believe now I've narrowed down the issue to the ABPrime plugin. Sorry for the trouble. I will alert the developer on his home forum.
Cheers!
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-06-02, 19:23, edited 6 times in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-06-02, 19:03

If you go into Filter Preferences and click the Filter List link, does it go to easylist.to or another site?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-06-02, 19:11

Lootyhoof wrote:If you go into Filter Preferences and click the Filter List link, does it go to easylist.to or another site?
It leads to the correct easylist.to URL.

As mentioned above, this seems to actually be an ABPrime issue, not an EasyList issue. :thumbup:
Last edited by BenFenner on 2018-06-02, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2018-06-02, 19:35

I've mentioned this to Tobin and an update should have been pushed out (v1.0.7). Does this fix the issue?

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2018-06-03, 02:20

Lootyhoof wrote:I've mentioned this to Tobin and an update should have been pushed out (v1.0.7). Does this fix the issue?
The update appears to have solved the issue. https://4chan.org/frames works fine now.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2018-06-03, 03:11

When Tobin said it was fixed "already", I thought he meant in 1.0.6 but I see that 1.0.7 is out now and I can confirm it has fixed the issue for me too! :thumbup:
Now I can go back to ABPrime on my other machine too. It's a good day.