Infobox causes freezing

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
g7mzh

Infobox causes freezing

Unread post by g7mzh » 2018-03-29, 12:10

Whenever the Pale Moon info box (the little box that informs of updates, completed downloads and so forth) appears, Pale Moon stops responding. Afer a few seconds, the PC itself freezes and has to be restarted.

This is repeatable (i.e., happens every time). Both Windows and PM have been updated, but no change in behaviour.

System is Windows 7, 32 bit, Intel 6400 Core 2 CPU, 4GB RAM.

As a work-round, can this box be disabled?

Thanks.

joe04

Re: Infobox causes freezing

Unread post by joe04 » 2018-03-29, 20:29

your browser freezes when you open Help -> About ?

What are your Pale Moon update settings? If you're set to auto-update then it may be a problem with Windows User Account Control.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that, though, and have never had this problem. (I'm set to fully manual update, which I invoke by clicking on the "Check for Updates" button in the About infobox.)
Last edited by joe04 on 2018-03-29, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

g7mzh

Unread post by g7mzh » 2018-03-29, 22:13

I had "inform about updates", which caused the box to appear, then changed to "automatic". When requested, the update itself is applied with no problem.

The problem occurs whenever the info box appears, regardless of what the information is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-30, 21:37

If your PC freezes up completely then there's definitely something amiss outside of Pale Moon.
Posting troubleshooting information might help pinpoint what happens with notifications that causes this problem -- possibly an issue with your desktop compositor or video driver.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite