"PaleMoon has stopped working." Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
roseman127

"PaleMoon has stopped working."

Unread post by roseman127 » 2018-03-03, 20:24

"PaleMoon has stopped working" on restart/close. (Win7-Sp1, PM 27.8.0 x64)

27.8.0 seems nice and fast etc., except whenever i try to restart it, or Close it, it goes away but one second later i get a Windows pop-up saying "Pale Moon has stopped working."
When i close the popup, everything seems fine, and PM fires up just like always next time i open it (so apparently no harm done).

is anyone else seeing this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "PaleMoon has stopped working."

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 20:56

Yes other people are seeing this crash on shutdown. see other posts.
We're still trying to determine the exact cause but at least one report pointed at the greasemonkey extension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-04, 06:07

I bet it shows xul.dll. If the error report mentions xul.dll, then it's likely the bug that's been in existence, for a good while, possibly since Firefox 24.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-03-04, 06:16

RJARRRPCGP wrote:I bet it shows xul.dll. If the error report mentions xul.dll, then it's likely the bug that's been in existence, for a good while, possibly since Firefox 24.
That is the most uninformed answer I have seen in a VERY long time.. Most crashes mention libxul because almost EVERYTHING is linked into a mega library called libxul or xul.dll on Windows that is literally where MOST of the code is... For crying out loud.. PLEASE do the minimal amount of research to inform your self.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-03-04, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-03-04, 17:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
Most crashes mention libxul because almost EVERYTHING is linked into a mega library called libxul or xul.dll on Windows that is literally where MOST of the code is... For crying out loud.. PLEASE do the minimal amount of research to inform your self.
Sorry! I was simply saying that it was probably the crash-on-close-bug that I remembered seeing for a while.

Damien Dracula

Unread post by Damien Dracula » 2018-03-04, 18:20

I'm getting that it's stopped working for sites like Gaia Online, while others, such as this one, and Facebook, it works just fine for.

When I go to start Gaia Online with Pale Moon, it starts to load, as usual, but then, after a few seconds, it freezes, and tells me it's not responding, but when I try to close the window, it then tells me the profile is missing, or inaccessible. Is there any reason this might be happening to me? Please keep in mind, that I am not all that computer literate, so I may not understand some terms you use.

Computer Specifics:
- Latest versions of Windows
- Latest Version of Pale Moon, and Firefox [which I mirrored with Pale Moon]
- Latest version of Adobe Flash
- NVidia graphics card

Somewhat Eclipsed

Unread post by Somewhat Eclipsed » 2018-03-05, 01:59

I went back to the previous version. I got the error message every time I closed version 27.8.0 x64. I don't have any greasemonkey extensions. Using Windows 7 64 bit Sp1.

roseman127

Unread post by roseman127 » 2018-03-05, 02:04

It is not GreaseMonkey (or at least not "exclusively" GreaseMonkey) since i do not even have GreaseMonkey installed.

Good lucking pinpointing it :)

roseman127

Unread post by roseman127 » 2018-03-05, 02:11

Forgot to show details of the Windows-has-closed-PM message:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: palemoon.exe
Application Version: 27.8.0.6632
Application Timestamp: 5a9578f9
Fault Module Name: mozglue.dll
Fault Module Version: 27.8.0.6632
Fault Module Timestamp: 5a9578f7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000014751
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fe75
Additional Information 2: fe750e0f7513488fcd660e29cf588926
Additional Information 3: b1b9
Additional Information 4: b1b99bf94d56682dc8cf2f1a698756eb"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-06, 09:07

Fixed in 27.8.1
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

illinoisgal

Unread post by illinoisgal » 2018-03-09, 17:51

I think this is where I post this if not please move it or let me know to delete. I have been having a lot of problems with Pale Moon since the last update. It keeps freezing up and I have to close and restart it. Also have a script problem. I have not had any problems until this last update.

Zero3K
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Zero3K » 2018-03-15, 17:59

illinoisgal wrote:I think this is where I post this if not please move it or let me know to delete. I have been having a lot of problems with Pale Moon since the last update. It keeps freezing up and I have to close and restart it. Also have a script problem. I have not had any problems until this last update.
Please make a new post.