"Broken" Website - Distrowatch.org Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

"Broken" Website - Distrowatch.org

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-02-28, 10:44

Good Day Community,
I am sure you are all aware of the great https://distrowatch.com/ website. Mine seems a bit broken? Look at the left hand side. May this be as a result of an ad blocker or config?

See image below. I am running the latest Pale Moon on Windows 10.
distro_palemoon.JPG
On Basilisk
distro_palemoon_II.JPG
Last edited by fatboy on 2018-02-28, 18:57, edited 3 times in total.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: "Broken" Website - Distrowatch.org

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-28, 12:34

I run 64 bit Windows 7, SP1 as my backup operating system using 32 bit windows Pale Moon (27.7.2). I'm very familiar with the DistroWatch site since 64 bit linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce is my default distro (daily operating system) where I use 64 bit linux Pale Moon (27.7.2).

I switched over to my Windows 7 hard drive, went on over to the DistroWatch site using windows Pale Moon and DistroWatch renders properly for me. Nothing on the left side is missing whereas on your screenshot, things are missing. DistroWatch also renders properly for me using linux Mint and linux Pale Moon.

When I visited the DistroWatch site, whether using windows or linux Pale Moon, I had Adblock Latitude 4.0.1 enabled so AL is turned on.

At the computer repair shop where I hang out during the work week, there are quite a few websites that don't render properly for some people using Windows 10 whether they are using Pale Moon, Firefox or even the Edge browser. What adblocker are you using?

BTW, I have 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops) and all of these computers have a Windows 7 hard drive in them along with Pale Moon. All these Windows 7 hard drives using windows Pale Moon, DistroWatch renders properly on these 4 computers. All of these 4 computers are different models too.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-02-28, 12:58

I visit DistroWatch on a semi-regular basis. I get the same results as Night Wing.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-02-28, 13:31

fatboy wrote:May this be as a result of an ad blocker or config?
Best way to tell if an ad blocker is the culprit is to view the site in Safe Mode with add-ons disabled. If it works in Safe Mode, it's an add-on issue.

I also get the same results as Night Wing.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-28, 14:01

I can confirm that the site looks fine in Pale Moon 27.7.2 on Windows 7, also.

It does seem that an ad blocker may be the culprit since the sponsored images are not shown in your screenshot, but those are hosted locally on the site as far as i can tell -- this means you're blocking content from the main (1st party) domain in your Pale Moon, which probably breaks functionality of the site.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-02-28, 17:38

This seems to be the offending rule (in EasyList): distrowatch.com##a[href*="3cx.com"]

The blocked content returns if you whitelist distrowatch.com.

Or if you'd like to keep your blocker on, it's possible to neutralize just that rule:
  • In uBlock Origin, add this exception rule to "My filters"

Code: Select all

~distrowatch.com##a[href*="3cx.com"]
  • In ABP family adblockers (Adblock Latitude/ABPrime):
    Disable the rule in EasyList via Blockable Items (BI).
    Open BI (Ctrl+Shift+V), find the filter and right-click on it. This brings up a context menu with an option to disable the filter.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-02-28, 18:57

Aah, I see,
So nothing to worry about then :)
Thank you all for the feedback
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux