Familysearch: Document Informtion not displayed (blank page)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Familysearch: Document Informtion not displayed (blank page)

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-01-24, 18:48

Hello, I have signed up on Familysearch and now have to see that Pale Moon is partially incompatible with that page. When you have s search result beside that result you find two symbols, the one looking like a textpage should lead to the bibliographic document information, the other looking like a camera, leads to the original document. While I can see the original document following the camera link, the document information are displayed in Pale Moon like attachment 1, as you see, you see nothing. How it should look like you can see in attachment 2, taken with Internet Explorer (prited as PDF, since Full Page Screenshots are not possible with that browser). Apart from always having to switch between browsers is uncomfortable, and IE is also lacking a lot of functions, there is also the problem: Internet Explorer is only supported by Familysearch until 1. February, as you can see in the warning message on top of the page. Is there something to do about this bug in Pale Moon? I am quite sure it is not intendend.
Attachments
How Document Information are displayed in Pale Moon
How Document Information are displayed in Pale Moon
https___www.familysearch.org_ark__61903_1_1_M2GZ-P9N.pdf
How document Information are displayed in IE.
(69.62 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

GMforker

Re: Familysearch: Document Informtion not displayed (blank page)

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-01-24, 19:22

Throws an error in Browser Console:

Code: Select all

SyntaxError: class is a reserved identifier
data:...
See Issue #1243.
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-01-24, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-24, 19:28

The from GMforker mentioned "web-standard feature" is not implemented into Pale Moon right now. For this one and similar pages you could use http://www.basilisk-browser.org/ for example.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-01-24, 20:55

Could you maybe explain what you mean to a simple housewife? Your links lead to complete "Chinese" for me. Two browsers should be enough, right? I am certainly not going to toggle between three or four browsers now. And showing the content of a website should be a basic feature of any browser. It's nothing tricky, just text! " This "use another programme, use another operating system, buy a new comoputer, move to anothter country, fly to the moon etc.etc." suggentions don't really solve the problem. Is there something that could solve the problem in Pale Moon - like an add-on or plugin or some such, or not?

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-01-24, 21:01

Is there no portable version of this Basilisk browser and what does "must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum mean"? I have no idea what my PC has.It's Fujitsu Lifebook A series bought in 2014 that's all I can tell you.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-24, 21:38

nimanima wrote:And showing the content of a website should be a basic feature of any browser. It's nothing tricky, just text!
That is wrong. There is plain HTML, there is CSS, there is HTML5, there are ECMAScript features which are constantly updated with new "drafts and other shinies" - It is not only showing just text. Every browser has issues with certain webpages as not all pages are developed for all browsers in mind. Some are Firefox centered, some are Chrome centered.

And right now there are certain so called "standards and drafts" which are not supported in Pale Moon. As the web is a fluid place - and it is hard to be constantly behind all the development. And as the Pale Moon team is a small one, and they do not have that tons of experts like Chrome team, some stuff is either simple, hard or in rare cases impossible to implement, depending on the complexity, as you just can't copy-paste random code in the hope to make it "just work" :wave: So, if you are a very simple user, i think Pale Moon could not be the best choice for you as sometimes it is necessary to switch browsers or do some other tricks like user agent overrides.

Also, IE is not recommended to use. As Microsoft puts it's focus in their new Windows 10 browser called Edge. So, if you want a reliable secondary browser, install something like Basiliks, or Chrome or Vivaldi-Browser. But do yourself a favor and stop using IE :)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-01-24, 21:44, edited 3 times in total.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-01-24, 22:17

IE was on this PC when I got it, and so I use it for exactly three purposes:
1) Replaying radio programmes that use Flash Player (and most radio stations in my country do require Flash Player) since IE is the only browser under Win 7 in which I could make that stupid Flash Player run stable (on Firefox and Pale Moon it kept crashing frequently so I deleted it once and forever).
2) Bank and taxes
3) Trying to display pages that don't show on Pale Moon (usually it works, but usually the problem lies in inbound pictures or videos, such as djvus etc.)

And as I am totally unable to work with programmes that have no menu line, the browers you suggest (including IE, with which I could never "work", it is just good for more static activities) are no choice for me.
I have looked long for an alternative to Firefox which I used for many years after Firefox had introduced its Australis design. Pale Moon for me is seriously the only browser I have found who has the elements I need, and in the correct orders: the menu on top, then the bookmarks and then the tabs. On all other browser I am totally orientation-less and find nothing. Might be that Basilisk is similar in that (however, why does Moonchild fork a fork now?). I would appreciate though if you could maybe concentrate a bit less on gaming and such but on working requirements such as correct display of pages and documents.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-24, 22:23

nimanima wrote:I would appreciate though if you could maybe concentrate a bit less on gaming and such but on working requirements such as correct display of pages and documents.
One more time ;) It is impossible to implement everything what big browser developers with tons of manpower implement in their own products. Pale Moon is Open Source, so everyone can go and implement features they want, or can go and search on the internet for people with skills which would want to contribute.

If you want a browser which is 100% up to date with every new "shiny" which is implemented by the big ones, Pale Moon is no browser for you, no matter if you like the design and UI construction. A small team has time and skill limitations, which a big project does not have. It is as simple and easy as that.

This has nothing at all to do with gaming. It is about time limitations and complexity of the code material which is about to be implemented. Some stuff is possible, some stuff not, at least without user contribution. That is the harsh reality.

Anyway.. You want some features to be implemented which pages require but Pale Moon does not have? https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... oon/issues - Feel free to ask people on coding related sources if they have some hints or interest in volunteering ;) There will be in some cases a bounty which will be delivered once something is implemented.

Just saying ;)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-01-24, 22:31, edited 4 times in total.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-01-24, 22:42

Okay so that means you will keep websites not displaying. Interesting. And tell people not use the browsers that DO display them? Every online banking website that doesn't display correctly is fixed in every new update, as I can see in the release notes of new PM versions but of course research as long as it is not IT is unimportant. "Everybody could write", well, yes, I could rather compose a dodekaphonic opera than programme anything for a PC or alter antyhing that has already been written.

Well I will write to Familysearch then and ask them to kindly rewrite their website so that it is displayed correctly, maybe that will work then.

And now please do me the favour and answer my question about Basilisk. Is it portable or not? And if it is, how can I display the menu bar and get tabs down. As I can seen in the screen shots it has to be modified in some wayss before I would be able to use it.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-01-24, 22:54

nimanima wrote:Okay so that means you will keep websites not displaying. Interesting. And tell people not use the browsers that DO display them? Every online banking website that doesn't display correctly is fixed in every new update, as I can see in the release notes of new PM versions but of course research as long as it is not IT is unimportant. "Everybody could write", well, yes, I could rather compose a dodekaphonic opera than programme anything for a PC or alter antyhing that has already been written.

Well I will write to Familysearch then and ask them to kindly rewrite their website so that it is displayed correctly, maybe that will work then.

And now please do me the favour and answer my question about Basilisk. Is it portable or not? And if it is, how can I display the menu bar and get tabs down. As I can seen in the screen shots it has to be modified in some wayss before I would be able to use it.
You can get and install the add-on classic theme restorer to modify the browser UI in a "simple way" for example.

I don't know if it is portable. Also - i am not the developer, i am just a normal user like you. Banking sites for example require sometimes a new user agent override because they do not like the normal Pale Moon or previous inserted one. Changing user agent is an utterly simple task which can done by every user in about:config - A constant override like it is implemented into Pale Moon in some cases is of course a bit more difficult than that. What your page in question needs is a highly complex ecmascript feature which can't be implemented for various reasons into Pale Moon right now.

You see now, not every task is the same way as easy. And what can simply be implemented like a new user agent override for example can't be done that simple with such an utter complex task like the ecmascript specification which that page you mention is in need for.

Btw. what do you expect, where should time or knowledge for a certain highly difficult to implement feature come around if not available? Appearing from above? Or by magic? ;)

People want something what the Pale Moon Team can't deliver on their own for their very logical reasons? It stays missing or someone finds a way to help the team with that. That is what you have to accept if you use a smaller browser project. Maintaining and developing a browser is a incredible difficult thing. You can call it unfair or get angry or find it interesting... but it does not change the fact that it is not always the developer's fault why a certain function/feature is not implemented. What can't be done without help can't still be done, even if you complain 100 times in a row.

Feel free to write to the page owner, but you will get most likely only an answer back to "use an up to date browser like Firefox, Edge or Chrome" - it is almost always the case if one demands that a page is written in a different way.

No offense really, but you have to understand at least the basics, your opinion is it is "simple and easy to do" - But sorry, it is not.

And with that i am out of this discussion.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-01-24, 23:13, edited 9 times in total.