Does Pale Moon 27.7.1 have stability issues?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
RexyDallas

Does Pale Moon 27.7.1 have stability issues?

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2018-01-22, 04:59

It seems after I keep the browser open too long, it will eventually end up freezing constantly, and I have to restart the browser. Earlier, the browser fell to a crawl with CPU use in the 90s for seemingly no apparent reason, and stayed that way. The browser also crashed (visually Stopped responding, became ghosted, and the windows dialog for closing crashed programs came up) earlier today, with no crash report dialog. I have no clue what this could be, but it has only been happening recently. Flash is known by me to freeze browsers sometimes, though this happens even when plugin manager isn't currently running.

Using windows 8.1 update 1 64-bit.

The only potentially performance-heavy add-ons I have are Adblock Latitude 4.01, Adblock plus element hiding helper, grease-monkey for Pale Moon 3.30rc1, and stylish.
Last edited by RexyDallas on 2018-01-22, 05:14, edited 10 times in total.

Zero3K
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Does Pale Moon 27.7.1 have stability issues?

Unread post by Zero3K » 2018-01-22, 07:14

1. How much RAM was/is it using when it froze/freezes?
2. If it was using 3-4 GB, please consider switching to the 64-bit version if you're running the 32-bit one.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-22, 16:56

The problem with freezing Palemoon when flash is on website you can solve it with disabling OOP plugins. Here is how to do that https://www.fluxbytes.com/software-tips ... ainer-exe/ , second method.

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2018-01-24, 08:19

SGvagon wrote:The problem with freezing Palemoon when flash is on website you can solve it with disabling OOP plugins. Here is how to do that https://www.fluxbytes.com/software-tips ... ainer-exe/ , second method.
Actually, I just realized the VLC plugin was causing the majority of the plugin-related freezes and lag. I always saw plugin hang messages mentioning the VLC plugin, but I largely just accepted them and went on with my day. Only recently did I stop to think that plugin could be detrimental to the speed of the browser.

The reason I never bothered to disable it or look into it before is because it doesn't really affect me too much. Freeze here, slowdown there, go on with my day. So I didn't really care enough to actually look into the speed issues.

The weird thing is that the VLC web plugin seems to make plugin container run almost constantly.
Last edited by RexyDallas on 2018-01-24, 08:22, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-24, 08:33

SGvagon wrote:The problem with freezing Palemoon when flash is on website you can solve it with disabling OOP plugins. Here is how to do that https://www.fluxbytes.com/software-tips ... ainer-exe/ , second method.
That's actually a bad suggestion; if flash crashes in-process, it crashes the entire browser.
What you should always try first is disabling flash's own protective mode. In add-ons manager, plugins, there's an options button next to Flash (in 32-bit mode) allowing you to disable it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2018-01-24, 10:50

Moonchild wrote:
That's actually a bad suggestion; if flash crashes in-process, it crashes the entire browser.
What you should always try first is disabling flash's own protective mode. In add-ons manager, plugins, there's an options button next to Flash (in 32-bit mode) allowing you to disable it.
If I recall correctly, Mozilla actually disabled that quite some time ago due to performance issues.

Also, why is the options button not available in 64-bit mode?
Last edited by RexyDallas on 2018-01-24, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-24, 11:47

Pale Moon 64-bit uses a different type of plugin sandbox where this doesn't really apply.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-24, 15:09

Moonchild: No, if flash crash, it only show sad smile (or exclamation mark now - this http://dolske.net/blogimg/crashcat.png?w=240 ) instead of flash player/object. Browser works correctly after flash crash. I only refresh page and flash loads again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-24, 17:08

SGvagon wrote:Moonchild: No, if flash crash, it only show sad smile (or exclamation mark now - this http://dolske.net/blogimg/crashcat.png?w=240 ) instead of flash player/object. Browser works correctly after flash crash. I only refresh page and flash loads again.
If you disable the plugin container, then if flash crashes, it will crash Pale Moon. Unless, of course, Adobe finally fixed their "protected mode" and that is what you're seeing instead.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-01-27, 19:24

I'm getting unusual system freezes lately on my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 520), all while browsing with PM. Not pointing at PM yet as I'm still excluding several possible causes, I'll post again or start a new thread if required. Everything just freezes, no error messages or AppCrashView reports available. It mostly happens while on battery.

update: not Pale Moon related.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-01-27, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.