"Pale Moon web browser does not have a valid digital signature" (Norton Firewall) Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
roseman127

"Pale Moon web browser does not have a valid digital signature" (Norton Firewall)

Unread post by roseman127 » 2018-01-16, 03:14

*ACK*
Norton Firewall says that PM 27.7.0 does not have a valid digital signature!
It says fewer than 5 users in the Norton community have used this file.

I used the built-in update mechanism (from PM 26.6.2 i think) so i doubt the session could have been hacked...

Guess it's back to FF for now until i can get a valid copy of palemoon :(

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: "Pale Moon web browser does not have a valid digital signature" (Norton Firewall)

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-01-16, 03:48

Per this announcement ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17859

... "We will no longer code-sign our windows executables with an authenticode certificate."
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "Pale Moon web browser does not have a valid digital signature" (Norton Firewall)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-16, 08:43

I guess that says more about Norton than it says anything about Pale Moon ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mom-Kat

Unread post by Mom-Kat » 2018-01-26, 20:03

Moonchild wrote:
I guess that says more about Norton than it says anything about Pale Moon ;)
Fewer than 5 computer users I know still think anything by Norton is something besides malware.

Swibbz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Swibbz » 2018-02-25, 16:05

I haven't used any Norton products since Peter Norton actually left the company....That's a long ass time ago
"Political correctness is intolerance disguised as tolerance" - George Carlin

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2018-02-25, 16:34

I'm using Norton so will wait and see what happens with the next PM update, but I updated to 27.7.2 on 1/2/18 which is after MCs' cut off date and had no moaning from Norton at all. Can you not set an exception?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-02-26, 01:01

Norton (Symantec) has been complaining about Pale Moon since version 4.0 and that was back in 2011. Norton will never learn.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-03-03, 03:15

I have just updated to version portable 27.8.0. and had it for the first time ever I used Pale Moon. Will this come every time I start the browser now? and will it prevent the browser from working properly?
I attach a screenshot of the alert with IP addresses erased. The strange thing is that it mentions an add-on I have been using for ages (also on Pale Moon) without any problems.

And on closing the browser the "programme no longer works" alert from Windows shows up, which usually comes only when a programme crashes, but not when it is closed by the user.
Attachments
Pale Moon Portable 27.0.8 First Start Norton Alert.jpg
Pale Moon 27.8.0 Close Bug_crop.jpg
Last edited by nimanima on 2018-03-03, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-03, 08:05

nimanima: the reason for this (no valid signature/Norton) was already explained above.

The crash-on-close is probably because Norton also hooks into the program and doesn't handle a proper shutdown, making it crash. That's not good because you may lose data as a result.

Please either completely exclude anything Pale Moon from Norton's checking, or use a different software firewall
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2018-03-03, 23:06

Okay, thank you. I have already kiled PM 27.8 and go on with version 27.6 until you have fixed the problem.

I don't know how to exclude anything on Norton, I would need a step to step guide for this in German language.

Since Norton is the thing purchased as a multiple computer license by our institute, I can't t just purchase something else.

truthmail

Unread post by truthmail » 2018-11-14, 06:36

nimanima wrote:I have just updated to version portable 27.8.0. and had it for the first time ever I used Pale Moon. Will this come every time I start the browser now? and will it prevent the browser from working properly?
I attach a screenshot of the alert with IP addresses erased. The strange thing is that it mentions an add-on I have been using for ages (also on Pale Moon) without any problems.

And on closing the browser the "programme no longer works" alert from Windows shows up, which usually comes only when a programme crashes, but not when it is closed by the user.
Hi, I have the exact same problem (just the top part fortunately)

Why did this happen just now for me -- I've been using both PaleMoon and Norton for a long time

Thank you

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-14, 08:38

So exactly how are we to fix a problem emanating from overzealous hooks by software we cannot control?

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-11-14, 09:01

nimanima wrote:.

Since Norton is the thing purchased as a multiple computer license by our institute, I can't t just purchase something else.
Someone in your organisation is making a big technical mistake. No professional in their right mind would have Norton installed on a company computer. Sounds as if there is a non-techie somewhere in the works determining policy.

Norton has a reputation as being close to a virus itself. It acts as if it is a virus, interfering with the running of your system at a deep level, stops many programs from operating, has been known to delete/remove useful valid user data that it incorrectly determines is unhealthy for your system, tries to extort money from you, nags at you until you pay it money, is very difficult to remove, tries to prevents itself from being removed completely, leaves traces of itself after removal. These are all aspects of viruses. I remove Norton from every PC where I encounter it.

There are better solutions, Avast is free, Malwarebytes is not expensive.

You say you don't know how to add PM to Norton's exclusion list - well find out and - learn! You probably won't have the privs to do so but when you know how, you can ask the techies to do it for you.

Better still, speak to the person responsible, show them this page of Norton hate and add your own. They need to improve their game.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-11-14, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-14, 13:38

Just adding that Norton has been grandfathered into many organizations from a time when they WERE delivering quality software (before Symantec got involved). Such decisions tend to be made only once and it requires active effort to change solution. Not saying it's necessarily this way, but jumping to the conclusion that someone in the institute isn't doing their job is a stretch since Norton products still provide what they were initially purchased for, just very poorly.

Don't get me wrong: change is necessary here. It's just not that black and white why the current situation is as it is.