HTML5 videos eats FPS in games

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

HTML5 videos eats FPS in games

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-24, 02:55

Hello,

so I must sell my previous laptop MSI, because it had Skylake CPU (you know me, I wrote here lots of times about problems with Youtube and my i7 6700HQ) . So before a week I bought new laptop (Lenovo Y50-70) with Core i7 4720HQ, same GPU Nvidia GTX960M 2GB and 8GB RAM.
Palemoon runs much better here, BUT I have still some problems with playing videos (I tested Twitch streams and Youtube videos) . When I play some game (Rocketleague example) and then play Youtube video on external monitor, Palemoon eats 10-15 FPS in game (from stable 60 I have only 45-50) .
I testing it for hours. In other browsers Firefox, Opera or Chrome when I play any video on Youtube, I have still full stable 60 FPS in game and CPU not that high than Palemoon.
Btw. , sometimes when I play Youtube video, I still have 50% CPU usage.
But without playing any HTML5 video in Palemoon, CPU is normal on 2-3% .
So, I have Haswell CPU, all browsers runs smoother and better now, but HTML5 videos ONLY in Palemoon have still problems. This problem must be in Palemoon decoder/playback (MSE?) .

Btw. 2 , on the other side, I am using Actual Multiple Monitors and with this program I have problem between Palemoon and Aero in Windows 7 . It's hard to describe it, but when I have allowed Aero and run Actual Multiple Monitors, all Youtube videos have 24-30 FPS and looks very lagging. When I turn off Aero, videos are OK. This problem I have again, only in Palemoon. I posted this issue here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17794 , on Actual Multiple Monitors forums, they obviously don't know, where is the problem. So this problem I still exploring. But again, other browsers works except Palemoon.

In PM unstable isn't any change.

Thank you in advance and I wish a Merry Christmas to you :) .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HTML5 videos eats FPS in games

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-24, 20:39

As usual, please paste the output of help -> troubleshooting information (copy text) for your new laptop.

As already said on IRC: your 960M is a mobile GPU and GPU processing power is not infinite. Don't expect miracles from it playing a high FPS game and expecting it to also decode video at the same time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-24, 22:26

Ok, troubleshoot info is in the attachment. I know, that this graphic card is little low, but it still GTX 960M and with other browsers works while playing videos.
Btw. I thought, that HW acceleration is accelerating by Intel GPU in CPU, not dedicated Nvidia.
Attachments
PM technical information.txt
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-25, 18:25

And btw. in technical info are lots of addons, but I tried clean Palemoon profile and the problem is same.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-25, 22:07

text attachment in a foreign code page is very hard to read. Why can't you just copy and paste into a reply like everyone else?

It does look like you're using the Intel HD GPU for Pale Moon, and not the NVidia one. So, if your NV performance is influenced by usage of the Intel GPU part at the same time, then that's something at the system level/in the desktop compositor. Hybrid systems are strange in that respect. It is quite possible your game is producing high FPS but that the FPS that is actually ending up on your display is lower because the Intel compositor gives preference to the frame updates from Pale Moon. I don't know how Intel's driver handles multiple frame updates from 2 different back-ends.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-25, 23:28

I thought that it's too long for message reply, sorry. That's why I am used the attachment.
Strange is, that other browsers works perfectly with playing games or Actual Multiple Monitors + Aero in Windows 7.
I would like to help you, but I don't know how.
What I know and can confirm, that every Palemoon update, where is the MSN (Media source extensions) changes, makes playing HTML5 videos very different (especially for the CPU usage) . Palemoon as a browser works perfectly, but when I play some video, it make all browser slower and as I sad, games have less FPS.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-26, 21:32

Now I am trying new Basilisk browser and there HTML5 videos works perfectly. Will this decoder or what is this, implement to the Palemoon in the future, or Palemoon will still on MSE?

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-12-29, 16:18

It would be better, because I have blinking black videos on youtube again :-( . If I watch any Youtube stream, videos very often blinking black screen. My friend with i5 4210H and GTX860 has got same problem. So its 3rd laptop and same problem. Did you tried Palemoon on laptop with similar configuration?
Last edited by SGvagon on 2017-12-29, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-05, 02:21

Ok more progress, the blinking black videos and little lags is only, when I set lower CPU power core (in Windows power plan settings) . On full power (100%) videos works without blinking black screen. But in Firefox or other browser with this settings, videos works perfectly.
I am using 98% because my CPU is on 3,6 GHz on 100%, with 98 is 2,6 GHz (2594 MHz) . And that's still enough for play any video I think.
Btw. same problem I had on my previos laptop with i7 6700HQ CPU, after start system and Palemoon, videos are blinking black screen lots of times and after 10-15 seconds plays normally.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-01-05, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-08, 00:48

So the problem maybe is in the HQ CPU's which have 4 cores + 4 threads, because for example on 2 cores + 2 threads CPU's (for ex. 3210M or “4210H - my friend tried less percent power of CPU, and voala, has same problem with blinking black screen - on 100% doesn't have this problem“ ) playing videos works perfectly.
So when I set lower power (98% or less) , MSE doesn't work properly? There is the main problem, not in HW acceleration, but maybe in CPU and cores :think: ?
When I arrive from work, I will record a video of this problem (blinking black after start system and Palemoon) .

Thank you in advance. I hope, that these informations will help you in solving this problem.
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-01-08, 00:51, edited 3 times in total.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-10, 17:55

When I start Palemoon via Nvidia graphic card, Youtube videos works. But still I don't know why not work well with Intel GPU. Other Gecko browsers (Basilisk too) all works great with Intel GPU.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-17, 01:26

Any ideas why the blinking black screen and stuttering in fullscreen is only with lower percent frequency (on 98% too) of CPU? If you have a laptop with dedicated GPU, you should set lower CPU power in Power plan settings too.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-01-17, 03:29

You might want to look at this page. I know it's about a different computer but I think there are some similarities.

Lenovo Y50 4K -Video Playback Stutters Badly
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-241 ... badly.html

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2018-01-17, 07:03

Thehandyman1957 : Thank you for posting this website, but only functional solution is using Palemoon via dedicated Nvidia GPU. I tried installed lots of versions of Intel video driver, but the problem is same in all of them. When I start Palemoon and then play any 60 FPS youtube videos in fullscreen, screen starts black flickering and playback isn't smooth for a while. In Firefox or any other browser, videos are smooth after start browser.
The biggest problem are 60 FPS Youtube videos in Palemoon. Sounds like MSE switching GPUs and then playback is normal.
And as I said, I had this problem on my previous laptop MSI with i7 6700HQ (I sell this laptop for this problem, but I have this problem on i7 4720HQ too :| ) . Just try yourself and see the result (set 98-99% of power CPU in power plan) .
Last edited by SGvagon on 2018-01-17, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.