Multi-tab slowdown and exntesive memory usage

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Multi-tab slowdown and exntesive memory usage

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2017-12-09, 18:47

I have a sad experience with current (v27x64) palemoon. I am used to have many (about 30) tabs running at the same time. However the longer time the app runs, the more memory it takes (about 1,3GB a minute after start, up to 4GB after several hours, according to task manager) and the slower it becomes. In comparision with Firefox 52.5 ESR, the FF takes about 900MB with same tabs and almost never (expect when loading many tabs at same time) slows down.
The slow down is making itself known as delayed displaying of typed text, slow reaction when clicking on running or new tab etc.
How is it so?

System:
Windows 10 Pro x64 CZ
Palemoon 27.6.2 x64 (with addons: ADBLatitude 4.0.1, Complete YT saver 5.7.36.1, Custom tab width 1.0.1.1, Cutebuttons 0.5.5, saveasfilename 0.1.1, settingsanity 1.0
Firefox 52.5.0 x86 ESR (ADB Plus 3.0.1, Downthem all, classic theme restorer 1.7.3.4, classic toolbar buttons, download manager tweak, cute buttons, setting sanity 1.2, easest YT video downloader, avast, mega, exhentai addons)
i7-860 2,8GHz 4c/8t
ASUS P7P55D-E
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
ATI HD7950 3GB
SSD 128GB as system drive

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Multi-tab slowdown and exntesive memory usage

Unread post by Sajadi » 2017-12-09, 20:32

First, Firefox and Pale Moon really can't be compared anymore ;)

And second... the more resources a program uses, the higher the chance is that it impacts the function. That should be logical ;)

Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2017-12-09, 22:07

Sajadi wrote:And second... the more resources a program uses, the higher the chance is that it impacts the function. That should be logical ;)
It is logical, however, this slow down is rendering PM unusable while FF remains usable (well for this task at least, GUI and add-ons are other matter). To run lesser number of tabs? Unthinkable. Many tabs in one window? That is why tabs and FF were invented. To not have two or three dozens of IE6 windows on taskbar XD

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-12-09, 22:50

Try Safe Mode, you need to exclude extension issues first. For example, CYS has been abandoned (at least for now). It might still work, but it might also cause issues.

Also, since you are comparing to FF x86, try PM x86 too. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's x64 drivers are to blame... Make sure to have the latest ones. Btw 64-bit programs use more memory than 32-bit ones (memory usage increase with no apparent reason is something else).

Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2017-12-10, 00:21

Thank you, those are good suggestions I´ll try them