Palemoon loses all its icons and hangs from time to time

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Palemoon loses all its icons and hangs from time to time

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-12-04, 08:13

This is since the last couple of updates I think. I'm running the latest palemoon on windows fall creator edition.

What happens is that after a while (I think after a full screen program has exited, or after I've unlocked the pc after the screensaver has kicked in, but it doesn't happen every time this happens) all the icons on the menu bar and all the favicons on the tabs disappear. Attempting to do pretty much anything at this point results in palemoon hanging, so I'd imagine it got stuck somewhere trying to redraw the window?

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Palemoon loses all its icons and hangs from time to time

Unread post by davews » 2017-12-04, 08:17

This is one of the various glitches I have with the latest issue - suddenly for no apparent reason the reload/home/forward/back buttons disappear with a greyed out area where they should be. Currently having to use Firefox. Also on Fall Creators W10 Home for the past 10 days or so, maybe a connection.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-12-04, 12:29

I've never had any problems with icons disappearing in the Menu Bar or anywhere else for that matter whether I'm using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit Windows 7 or 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.6.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-12-05, 06:48

This is definetely a GPU driver bug. I have experienced these glitches at my laptop when Windows decided to "update" my gpu driver and updating to the latest driver always solved the problem.
If you are running on a dual gpu setup, try switching to the onboard gpu for PaleMoon.

davews
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by davews » 2017-12-05, 09:51

gpower2 wrote:This is definetely a GPU driver bug. I have experienced these glitches at my laptop when Windows decided to "update" my gpu driver and updating to the latest driver always solved the problem.
If you are running on a dual gpu setup, try switching to the onboard gpu for PaleMoon.
You may well be right as my problems coincided with the installation of a NVDIA GT710 GPU to get round the issue of my onboard graphics having no W10 support. Windows had updated the driver - to version 388.13. I have just installed the current version 388.43 but it doesn't seem to have changed my problems. Also turned off Windows Update driver update. I have the feeling that issues are GPU related, but puzzled why Palemoon is the only program which seems to suffer.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-12-05, 21:10

After the post suggesting it was a gpu bug, I updated to latest NVIDIA drivers just in case (given the fun I had with the W10 Fall Creators update I'd upgraded them then anyway). Still no joy.