Bizarre behavior re: Internet connectivity Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Tennie

Bizarre behavior re: Internet connectivity

Unread post by Tennie » 2017-11-16, 20:56

Here's something that I just noticed starting today:

I've used Pale Moon for several years now (I'm currently running the x86 (32-bit) version of PM 27.6.0 on Windows 10), and despite several issues now and then I still consider it to be overall one of the best browsers currently available.

Nonetheless, earlier today, occasionally something...odd...would occur regarding Internet connectivity. What happens in such a case is that I'd try to open a page, but the page wouldn't load. I'd try several different websites, but it would be stuck with the "Connecting" in the status bar with no change for minutes. I've noticed that on other browsers they usually connect just fine (unless there's a hiccup somewhere in the connection, but that tends to happen regardless of the browser you're using), or if they can't, then they'll just tell you that there's a connection problem.

However, in this case I've noticed that, even when I have connection according to other browsers and even the Windows Command Prompt's Internet testing features ("ping", "tracert", etc.), the lack of loading continues to persist unless and until I restart the browser.

This started earlier today, and at the time I had the version immediately prior to 27.6.0, so I updated the browser, and it still does this!

I'm not sure what's going on, and I could use some help with this.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Bizarre behavior re: Internet connectivity

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-11-16, 20:58

If you have any AV/Firewall/etc software, I'd suggest turning it off for a period and test the connection with PM. Could be the software is pegging palemoon.exe as suspicious and meddling with the traffic.

Tennie

Unread post by Tennie » 2017-11-16, 21:39

I tried that. No dice; it's still happening.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-16, 21:48

which extensions if any are installed.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Tennie

Unread post by Tennie » 2017-11-16, 23:06

Let's see:
  • Menu Wizard 5.10.
  • S3.Google Translator 5.35.
  • uBlock Origin 1.14.18.
  • uBlock Origin & uMatrix Updater 1.2.1.
  • uMatrix 1.1.4.
Please let me know if there's any possible conflicting issues involving any of these.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-16, 23:21

Tennie wrote:Let's see:
  • Menu Wizard 5.10.
  • S3.Google Translator 5.35.
  • uBlock Origin 1.14.18.
  • uBlock Origin & uMatrix Updater 1.2.1.
  • uMatrix 1.1.4.
Please let me know if there's any possible conflicting issues involving any of these.
Okay.
Have you tried connecting with add-ons disabled...?
i know its an obvious and silly question lol
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

jitspoe

Unread post by jitspoe » 2017-12-10, 21:43

I'm running into the same issue. Last time it happened, I restarted the browser, thinking it just needed a reeboot, and it didn't even restore my tabs. It was still stuck "Connecting", even at the tab restore screen. Eventually, I got it working again, but I lost all my tabs. It's as though the browser has to connect to some unresponsive service to perform any task, and it's just failing. Is there some sort of built in proxy or something like that?

Now it's happening again. I was scrolling down in Twitter and got the message: "Loading seems to be taking a while. Twitter may be over capacity or experiencing a momentary hiccup. Try again or visit Twitter Status for more information."

Probably doesn't mean anything, but I'm getting different animated icons for the "Connecting..." tabs. One is a green circle with a gradient rotating clockwise. The other is a grey circle with a dark dot rotating counter-clockwise.

I haven't installed any add-ons, and I don't have any firewall or network blocking software running.

The browser has been running for several days (maybe weeks or months), so perhaps that has some impact on it.

I was able to go to about:settings, so some things still function.

jitspoe

Unread post by jitspoe » 2017-12-11, 01:29

I closed pale moon, but there was still a process in the task manager eating up a ton of CPU, so I killed that. When I opened pale moon again, I had lost my tabs, but things functioned once again. I'm guessing there's some sort of thread or process responsible for parsing network messages, and it just got stuck in an infinite loop (or something of that nature). Would be nice if I could fix it without losing all of my tabs. Any good tab saving extensions?

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-11, 08:00

If it helps I have had almost exactly the same behaviour with Firefox prior to the Quantum version, one of my reasons for moving to Palemoon was to fix this behaviour. Since that point of migration it has stopped occurring completely. Could it be a problem with session/profile handling that has been inherited from the Firefox code base? It might be sensible to create a new profile and then migrate your bookmarks/tabs/ extensions &c and see if the problem goes away with the new profile. Just a thought.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2017-12-13, 00:42

I suspect that my issue was that I was running 64bit version of Firefox on a low power laptop with an integrated Intel GPU. Since moving over to 32bit versions of my browsers the issue seems to have abated. I am not running FF as much as I used to so this observation may not be valid. If you have mediocre hardware try the 32bit version of PaleMoon.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

shovelmaker888

Unread post by shovelmaker888 » 2018-02-16, 00:45

I have this problem, it's happened to me for a long time with PM. I'll be browsing and suddenly nothing loads, the browser seems to be disconnected. Open up another browser, it works, close and reopen PM, it works normally, until the next time it happens. My connection is normal, no proxies and I am not losing connection. I suspect some nature of script can trigger this behavior, as I recall loading pages that often resulted in this.
Extensions I use: Cookies Manager+ 1.14.3, Encrypted Web 5.1.5, Guerrilla Scripting 0.0.3.7.1, NoScript 5.1.3, uBlock Origin 1.13.8

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-16, 03:15

Does this problems occurs in particular site?
Use tcpview program, examine connections, manually close suspicious ones.