27.6.0 seeing corruption Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

27.6.0 seeing corruption

Unread post by cartel » 2017-11-09, 00:19

Is this because I have no d2d 1.1?
I avoided the platform update cause it caused problems for me...I dont see this with chrome or FF though.

Mostly the corruption shows as its loaded, then goes away.
2017002.jpg
the "dots" are new
2017003.jpg
2017004.jpg

Code: Select all

http://beta.speedtest.net/
ImageImage

Fedor2

Re: 27.6.0 seeing corruption

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-11-09, 03:55

Was examined Direct2D stuff where if removeing code for support old d2d can affect me. So the new behavior is such - if not found new d2d then do not use it at all. winxp has no any d2d and seems fine i do not see dots on speed test.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-09, 10:24

Please install the platform update.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fred G

Unread post by Fred G » 2017-11-10, 21:17

Does the platform update require a reboot? (Microsoft often does, sometimes it seems just to annoy people.)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-11-10, 23:09

It replaces some core D2D and other graphics subsystem files etc., I'd reboot even if it didn't prompt me to.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-11, 00:57

The platform update update core parts of the graphics subsystem in Windows -- of course a reboot is required for that; I'm surprised you're opposed to restarting your system for O.S. updates though -- that's normal since you can't replace components that are in use by the running O.S.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Fred G

Unread post by Fred G » 2017-11-11, 16:44

But PaleMoon is supposed to be (IMHO) a well-behaved userland application. And those don't interfere with other programs, which is what a reboot does. I have other tasks running and reboots are a major disruption. My uptime is now at 68 days (Windows 7 Pro is quite stable, unlike later versions) and I will try to reschedule a reboot soon, to do windows update, but I will have to disable PaleMoon updates because it is no longer well behaved. I already get pestered daily by Adobe Reader, which is a horror show of a program.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-12, 08:48

Please don't call Pale Moon ill-behaved just because you've not scheduled an essential operating system update that has been out for 4 years now. You can expect similar issues if your graphics drivers haven't been updated for 4 years, as well (which I think may also be part of your issue if you refuse to keep your system up-to-date to increase your arbitrary up-time number). In fact, the black squares/corruption you see may also very well be caused by not rebooting your system for 2.5 months while intensively using it and not be a Pale Moon issue at all.

Fred G

Unread post by Fred G » 2017-11-12, 22:57

I have taken the essential upgrades for the past many years, so if in fact that platform update was part of the standard update 4 years ago, I took it. But if it was an optional component, or something new, I haven't. What I don't know if whether taking 26.6 will cause problems if I don't do yet another update. And the release notes don't seem to have a good way to determine if the update is already in place.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2017-11-13, 02:18

I have tried this can of worms before and the update is an optional one.
If I install it, my computer has too many problems, including BSOD.

Please consider a work-around.
(also the corruption is directly tied to Direct2D being disabled in PM 27.6.0)

It causes Firefox to crash and only open in safe-mode. Removed KB2670838 and all OK
https://www.askwoody.com/2013/kb-267083 ... g-systems/
Windows update KB2834140 might fix the problem in some cases: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2834140

Note however that in my case the fix was only temporary in that a subsequent Windows update appears to have brought the problem back again (I haven't figured out which one it is).
This has been going on for years now. Is Microsoft going to fix it?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d37?page=4

Microsoft has shed some light on the problems surrounding their truly messed up Automatic Update KB 2670838. And, to their credit, they’ve changed the patch from “Important” to “Optional”
https://www.askwoody.com/2013/msdefcon- ... d-patches/

can't be updated to conform to KB 2670838
https://www.infoworld.com/article/26143 ... fonts.html
KB2670838. My PC is at a crawl. Apparently this is a known problem.
https://windowssecrets.com/forums/showt ... -kb2670838

KB2670838 - Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 = breaks AERO functionality and gives you blurry fonts on some websites
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r303483 ... group=WIN7
ImageImage

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2017-11-13, 05:36

OK I'm gonna try this 1 more time.
I've installed KB2670838 and KB4019990 since PM likes the d3dcompiler_47.dll.

So far so good
ImageImage

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-11-13, 09:47

I had the Platform update installed sporadically (x2 W7x64 Home w/ ATI/AMD on Intel IvyBridge, no Aero) between Dec. 2012 ~ Sept 2013, with a wide range of occasional issues with all but the original pre-release version. I gave up on it; I never saw any improvement from the Feb '13 version on.

Some time later, maybe Jan. of '15/'16, I had decided to move up to the W7 Pro version for some extra native control and also that the first thing I would do would be to install the latest IE and the Platform Update. All was fine, not seen any of the early issues since; I've moved to Nvidia graphics since then without issues too.

The page for the Platform Update has been changed many times since the original (iirc, 17+ revisions for the original page and the current page is up to rev. 3) and I suspect the underlying files have as well.

I came to the conclusion that it was most likely bugged for me during my early attempts due to the build up of dross/previous KB updates.

Note that there are some machines that this will never work well with, MS lists many of them on the Platform Update details page, so compare your hardware details there before deciding whether to run with a fresh OS install.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-13, 10:26

I agree that initially, the platform update (before it was called that) caused some issues with specific drivers, Direct2D, and specific font problems in Pale Moon, as well (which I worked around in a brain-melting session that pretty much was the birth of Goanna as it is known now). However, the world HAS moved on, and the platform update should be considered an essential part of Windows 7's maintenance and updates.

Please install it.

The fact that you see corruption with Direct2D not being available means that there is a problem, but since this problem manifests only with basic acceleration and otherwise software rendering, it is almost certainly caused by outdated components in your O.S. or old video driver bugs. So if you choose not to install the platform update and other recommended updates to bring your Windows completely up-to-date (at which point my support ends for you) then at the very least update other components like drivers.
Important: Even if Microsoft doesn't mark it a critical update (which would focus on known security vulnerabilities), it doesn't mean that it doesn't address bugs or fix issues in the O.S. that you are otherwise missing out on, including in the compositor, subsystems, GDI, etc.

Fred G

Unread post by Fred G » 2017-11-13, 14:40

What is the specific problem being addressed by the platform update? I looked at that page and it updated a TON of Windows subsystems, but the updates date from around 2011 to 2015. So it is likely that many if not all have been installed along the way anyway, and the "update" will just confuse things. There are a lot of d2d1 and d3dcompiler files on the system, from various dates, in various places. So maybe what you need to check is not "did you do the update" but "you need a version of d2d1.dll version xxx" or "dated xxx" or newer.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2017-11-13, 14:55

So far I am not seeing any problems I had years ago.
I have updated some hardware since then and also many driver updates so I think newer video card and driver probably are not conficting like my old ones were.
I've been running it the past 10 hours and so far so good.

gfx.direct2d.allow-fallback to true also worked without the platform update.
ImageImage

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-11-13, 17:29

I'm pretty certain there was never any single bugfix ever mentioned, it was about bringing IE (almost all Internet -facing software relies on IE components) up-to-date, especially the graphics modules and tidying up the Windows graphics subsystem generally.

I'd suggest that another reason that it's not a Critical patch is that MS quickly discovered that it broke hardware components on many machines that were in common use with big corporations.

The Update will most likely only 'confuse' systems that are old and incompletely updated, or that already have issues; 'clean' systems should update fine.

Fred G

Unread post by Fred G » 2017-11-13, 22:17

That leaves a lot of questions open. If Microsoft did not mark the update important, because of compatibility issues, then PaleMoon will cause compatibility issues if it leads the user to install the update. (That is not good behavior.) If the update's most important components were installed anyway as part of the routine "Important" update process, then PaleMoon doesn't need an update. Since the update is very, very old, and includes components that have no doubt themselves been replaced a few times, installing the update would be pushing the system backwards, unless the update process were extremely careful. Then more updates to the update would be needed.

That's why PaleMoon should identify which files need to be at which revision levels. Otherwise we don't know if the update's relevant components are already in place. You don't go installing huge OS update packages without knowing why or what is needed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-13, 23:43

Pale Moon works fine with and without the platform update, but if you want Direct2D, then you MUST install the update. Any issues with software rendering brought to light when Direct2D can't be used would already have been present and would be because of a non-updated O.S. or an issue that already exists in the underlying desktop graphics but previously not seen because that path was avoided.

There's nothing about revision levels that should be "required" apart from "if you want Direct2D, you now need the platform update" or "if you want hardware acceleration, then you need to have a recent video driver". It doesn't leave a lot of questions open; it only leave one question open: "is your O.S. fully updated?" if the answer is "no" then the situation is "YMMV".

If you install the platform update, it's of course recommended you run windows update afterward to pick up any additional fixes Microsoft has released on top of the update, and make sure your system is updated fully. If you do it, do it right in one go.