Printing bug redux

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ltcomdata
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Printing bug redux

Unread post by ltcomdata » 2017-11-04, 00:52

Hello:

I suppose this is not an urgent matter, given that this is a LONGSTANDING issue inherited from Firefox.
I believe it has been even mentioned at some point or another in this forum before, but resulting in no fix (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12954&p=91513&hili ... 479#p91513).

THE BUG.
In some webpages, printing causes an error. Instead of getting the whole webpage you get a truncated version consisting of a single page. Sometimes we even get two pages where the last page is entirely blank. Try for example, to print the following webpage: https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion ... o-ask-wwdd.

This bug seems to be so well known that there is even a workaround coded into the old Firefox add-on Print Edit: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rint-edit/.
Scroll down to the section "Fix Page Breaks" and you can read as follows:
Firefox's print preview and print functionality has several long standing problems that cause unwanted blank pages and truncated pages. In most cases, it is possible to fix these problems in Print Edit mode by selecting Fix Page Breaks from the Tools button menu.
And, just as advertised, when the "Fix Page Breaks" from the add-on Tools menu is selected, the resulting printout actually does contain the whole webpage (even if the spacing ends up being a little off).

Could this workaround somehow be incorporated into Pale Moon (eventually)?

You guys are great, and I love Pale Moon.

Thank you for all your great work!