New v27.5.1 Twitter GIF/video probs - this time on Windows Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
redblade7

New v27.5.1 Twitter GIF/video probs - this time on Windows

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-20, 22:51

I've had similar problems in the past with Linux only (low-pitched audio on videos) which was solved by changing the user agent (and was never a problem under Win10). See: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=122798#p122798

However, as of the most recent update (v27.5.1) I am unable to play any Twitter GIFs or videos on Windows, it fails on every attempt with a "The media could not be played" message. I tried setting Firefox compatibility mode and changing the MSE settings, and running in safe mode, but everything still fails (Pale Moon only). v27.5.1 works fine with Linux, and I've even changed the override in about:config on Windows to the exact string that works fine on Linux, and GIF/video still fails to play.

redblade7

Re: New v27.5.1 Twitter GIF/video probs - this time on Windows

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-21, 03:35

redblade7 wrote:I've had similar problems in the past with Linux only (low-pitched audio on videos) which was solved by changing the user agent (and was never a problem under Win10). See: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=122798#p122798

However, as of the most recent update (v27.5.1) I am unable to play any Twitter GIFs or videos on Windows, it fails on every attempt with a "The media could not be played" message. I tried setting Firefox compatibility mode and changing the MSE settings, and running in safe mode, but everything still fails (Pale Moon only). v27.5.1 works fine with Linux, and I've even changed the override in about:config on Windows to the exact string that works fine on Linux, and GIF/video still fails to play.
It wasn't v27.5.1, it was the fact that I manually installed the Fall Creators Update two days ago. I was able to solve the problem by removing HEVC according to the instructions in this thread (I didn't see anything relating to a Microsoft MPEG2 codec in Apps & features). This solved Twitter issues as well as some other problems I noticed with YouTube livestreams failing and youtube.com/html5 showing no support (it still shows no support for "MSE & WebM VP9" but that is to be expected according to the Pale Moon MSE settings documentation).