Soundcloud/bandcamp not working in latest builds Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Soundcloud/bandcamp not working in latest builds

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2017-10-13, 22:45

Windows 7 x64
Desktop 27.5.1, 64 bit
These two sites stopped working a few months ago. I think some time in the summer (they definitely were not working in previous build nor in the current).
It didn't bother me much until I got tired of running portable Iron to listen to something.
The problem is probably related to MSE.

I suppose any track could be an example. For instance:
https://stellardreams.bandcamp.com/albu ... orizons-ep
https://soundcloud.com/dynatronsynth/

To make sure it is not the browser addons I did the following:
1) downloaded latest (27.5.1) portable palemoon 32 bit without any add-ons and tried it on both sites - not working.
2) installed the latest addon HTML5 Media Tuner https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/html5-video-tuner/ - by default both HTML5 + MSE were enabled.
3) tried all three possibilities (HTML5 + MSE, HTML5 only, no HTML5) on both of them - not working.

Soundcloud shows "This track can’t be played right now. Please try again later." everytime.
Bandcamp doesn't show anything but instead of "Play" triangle there is ring pulsating forever.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Soundcloud/bandcamp not working in latest builds

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-10-13, 22:52

I played a couple of tracks on both links with no issues.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-10-13, 22:53

Both play fine for me with PM in Native mode and these MSE settings:
PMStellardreams.jpg

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2017-10-14, 17:48

eskaton023 wrote:I played a couple of tracks on both links with no issues.
satrow wrote:Both play fine for me with PM in Native mode and these MSE settings:
I tried again with every possible combination of these MSE settings, this time with my Comodo IS disabled. But the result was the same - either infinite loading or nothing (if I disable MSE in settings).

Do you use Windows 7 x64?
If yes - any idea why my PM behaves differently?

Maybe it is somehow connected to the fact that I don't have any installed codecs on my PC? I use portable video/audio players with internal codecs.
But my understanding was that PM has internal codecs specifically to play media.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-10-14, 18:55

dragon_fly wrote:Maybe it is somehow connected to the fact that I don't have any installed codecs on my PC? I use portable video/audio players with internal codecs.
But my understanding was that PM has internal codecs specifically to play media.
My understanding is that Pale Moon uses installed codecs, not internal codecs. For example, here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16240&p=118486&hili ... ws#p118486
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2017-10-14, 20:35

works fine, both. MSE enabled for mp4 and assync settings
W7_x86 PM 27.5.1

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-10-17, 01:30

The second symptom, the one that you said that you saw with Bandcamp, looks script blocker related.

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2017-10-17, 20:25

Nigaikaze wrote:
dragon_fly wrote:Maybe it is somehow connected to the fact that I don't have any installed codecs on my PC? I use portable video/audio players with internal codecs.
My understanding is that Pale Moon uses installed codecs, not internal codecs. For example, here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16240&p=118486&hili ... ws#p118486
Thanks for the link, at least something is becoming more clear.

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2017-10-23, 09:43

Exact same problem(s) for me, though I'm still using PM 26.3.3 (x86) on a Vista laptop.
As such, I have no MSE settings to tinker with.

Bandcamp still works fine, however, on even lower-tech browsers like K-Meleon and Light.
Anyone figure this out yet?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-23, 13:24

Both play for me in windows and in linux Pale Moon 27.5.1 in Firefox Compatibility setting.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

evcco

Unread post by evcco » 2017-10-26, 07:44

Since nothing changed on my (and presumably dragon_fly's) end, does anyone know what Bandcamp/Soundcloud might have done in the past few months to change the way they stream audio?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 01:04

The only people who can answer that question are the site operators.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2017-11-07, 22:08

After reading some links and some googling, I found out that it is related to operating system.
I use Windows 7 x64 Ultimate N SP1, which doesn't have WMF or other media-related technologies, and they are essential for playback on these sites.

The solution is to simply install "Media Feature Pack" (update Windows6.1-KB968211-x64-RefreshPkg.msu, can be downloaded from microsoft website).
I still use portable video player with internal codecs (Potplayer) for watching videos, so apparently codecs packs aren't required, at least for me.

I'm not sure if it's technically a bug, more like an engine restriction. You can't expect the browser to run on windows 3.11, for example. On the other hand, it is advertised as browser for win7, so maybe there should be some warning if the OS doesn't have WMF.

P.S. I wanted to mark the thread as "Solved", but can't edit the first post, so I marked my own post, lol.