Memory leak Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
failure

Memory leak

Unread post by failure » 2017-10-13, 15:08

I have two windows (I never, ever use tabs) open in Pale Moon. I have three windows of Edge open, same two sites and YouTube. Please note the difference in memory usage.
Untitled.png
It's getting difficult to continue to use Pale Moon. What's the deal with the memory suck?

Windows 10 64 bit, home and work, Pale Moon 27.5.1 64, though it's been an issue for a few releases, now.

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Memory leak

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-13, 21:00

You'll have to provide more information to investigate this:
  • The output of help -> troubleshooting information (copy as text)
  • Which sites you're visiting
  • When you see high memory use, go to about:memory and click "measure and save". Either attach it to your reply or PM me if you don't want other people to know which sites you're having trouble with.
Out of bounds memory use like you indicate is usually the result of one of two things: (1) extensions, (2) video driver.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

newbie3

Unread post by newbie3 » 2017-10-15, 15:32

I also have the same problems with the memory usage of "Pale Moon" and I have posted a theme about it here some time ago. But I saw that the same problem is when I use "Mozilla Firefox" - in both cases when having only 4-5 tabs opened (compared with dozens of tabs opened in Edge and much lower memory usage (which is my sister's favorite browser) - the difference between the first two browsers and Edge is huge about the memory usage. I don't know the reason.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-16, 15:12

Don't misinterpret what Edge reports, either. Usually there's no indication of what the web rendering component actually uses in Edge.

Same deal though, please post what I asked in my first reply; without details there's no way this can be examined, and if it is actually a bug and not expected usage for what ever sites you're on, and actually is something that is in our court and not Windows/Drivers/etc., be addressed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite