Strange behaviour since 27.5.0 Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gurugeorge

Strange behaviour since 27.5.0

Unread post by gurugeorge » 2017-10-02, 20:06

Pale Moon is now annoyingly borked for me since this last update 27.5.0. This happens with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. I'm getting:-

1. Non-appearance of controls in Youtube video, have to sort of press play and stop blindly and wave my cursor about, then sometimes they appear
2. Drop-down window for new vid notifications and emails at top right in Youtube not unfolding on click - have to tab to another tab, then back, then it appears
3. Disappearance of Disqus "send as xxx" button when commenting on various things that use Disqus.
4. Occasional disappearance of search input window when using DuckDuckGo.
5. Occasional webpage not fully loading (like, the words on the page and the links sort of load, but all the info is scattered randomly down a white screen, and the graphics don't appear, the webpage isn't fully "active" and knit together as it should be).

Just generally it's all become randomly flakey and unsure of itself somehow, when it comes to drawing these things or making them "active" - almost like when something's half downloaded and not "active", except that everything seems ok, then some bit of the window disappears or behaves as if it were half-downloaded.

System: Win 10, Intel i3 6100, 8G RAM, Nvidia GTX760 GPU, SSD.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Strange behaviour since 27.5.0

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-10-04, 16:47

Since the update to 27.5.0, YouTube seems to lazy-load more than ever before! The video window often appears before most other items!
Thus, it's more difficult to comment and check the notifications.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-10-04, 17:21

RJARRRPCGP wrote:Since the update to 27.5.0, YouTube seems to lazy-load more than ever before! The video window often appears before most other items!
The user agent was changed which makes youtube show its new layout. The video appearing first and everything loaded afterward is by design in the new youtube layout (though I hate it as well). The next version of Pale Moon will change the user agent back so that the new layout is not used by default, but you can disable it manually if desired.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-04, 17:46

@gurugeorge

I use 64 bit Windows 7 as my backup operating system since my primary operating distro is 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya).

I use 32 bit windows Pale Moon 27.5.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7 (Home Premium & Ultimate) in four different windows hard drives in four different models of computers (2 desktop towers & 2 laptops). I have no problems surfing the internet, right clicking, left clicking, clicking on different buttons on any website, audio is fine and I can download or upload anything I want when using any of these four computers. The only problem I had with 27.4.2 was with YouTube since I didn't have the three vertical dots to access the new YouTube dark theme (in Windows 7) and 27.5.0 solved that problem for me.The only difference is our operating systems. I use Windows 7 and you use Windows 10. The only two addons I use are the old NoSquint 2.1.9.1 and Adblock Latitude (4.0.1).

Have you given any consideration your problems might be with some addons or with Windows 10? I'm asking because at the computer repair shop where I volunteer at when the work load starts to create a backlog, the two people responsible for dealing with repairs to customer's Windows 10 computers say lots of things don't seem to work well with Windows 10, but have very little problems with Windows 7.

As an example, they've noticed the free Avast AV has been having problems with Windows 10, but not with Windows 7 so they load free Zone Alarm AV (and Firewall) in Windows 10.

The above is just food for thought.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gurugeorge

Unread post by gurugeorge » 2017-10-04, 21:24

Yeah, I've tried the browser with and without addons, doesn't make any difference.

Also: tabs sometimes take ages to load.

Is there a way to revert to the previous build of Pale Moon? That was working just fine.

inops

Unread post by inops » 2017-10-04, 21:33

Night Wing wrote:Have you given any consideration your problems might be with some addons or with Windows 10?
I'm using Ubuntu 17.04 and I'm getting the exact same problems with YouTube as OP, both with my profile and a blank one. I don't use disqus or duckduckgo, so I don't know if there's an issue with them.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-10-04, 21:57

If you search for YouTube here, you will find several recent threads/posts. It's best to revert to YouTube's old layout since the new one is problematic.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-10-04, 23:24

inops wrote:
Night Wing wrote:Have you given any consideration your problems might be with some addons or with Windows 10?
I'm using Ubuntu 17.04 and I'm getting the exact same problems with YouTube as OP, both with my profile and a blank one.
Off-topic:
I'm surprised you're having problems with Ubuntu 17.04 and linux Pale Moon (27.5.0).). Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, but Mint 18.2 is based off of Ubuntu (16.04). See if anyone in the Ubuntu forums has linux Pale Moon 27.5.0 installed and if they are having problems with linux Pale Moon. I have no problems with linux Pale Moon 27.5.0 in Mint 18.2 on four different Mint hard drives in four different models of computers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gurugeorge

Unread post by gurugeorge » 2017-10-13, 00:29

Yeah, this isn't just a Youtube problem, and the recent little update hasn't solved anything.

Pale Moon is basically a PITA to use atm, sadly. Farming off tabs in game forums for example usually takes ages now (i.e. right clicking and Open Link in New Tab) - as a workaround you can sort of "activate" the new tab like it's been "asleep", by randomly clicking on another tab that's already open, then the new tab will appear.

Safe Mode makes no difference.

Sorry guys, going to have to use another browser till this gets sorted out. All the weirdness (for me) started with 27.5.0, the browser was working perfectly before that.

Reg82

Unread post by Reg82 » 2017-10-14, 14:06

Same (#5) for me:

5. Occasional webpage not fully loading (like, the words on the page and the links sort of load, but all the info is scattered randomly down a white screen, and the graphics don't appear, the webpage isn't fully "active" and knit together as it should be).

But this isn't the worst issue. Pale Moon suddenly closes. I installed PM 27.5 64 bit on October 1 2017, and have had 6 instances of this "closing" since then, according to AppCrashView. Two instances in 2017 with version 26.3, and one instance in all of 2016 with version 24.x(?) I never know when it will happen, and never seem to be doing anything at the time (reading a page). This also happens in safe mode.

I will have to roll back to some other version, but I need to figure out which version that should be.

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2017-10-14, 16:06

gurugeorge wrote:Yeah, this isn't just a Youtube problem, and the recent little update hasn't solved anything.

Pale Moon is basically a PITA to use atm, sadly. Farming off tabs in game forums for example usually takes ages now (i.e. right clicking and Open Link in New Tab) - as a workaround you can sort of "activate" the new tab like it's been "asleep", by randomly clicking on another tab that's already open, then the new tab will appear.

Same symptoms here. Running Linux Mint, so the usual Windows 10 problems don't apply. The little update to 27.5.1 made YouTube slightly more usable (as in, at least the videos display and play) but there's still an incredible amount of lag present...which worsens the longer the browser is used. Closing and starting again helps a little, but not much. In general, nearly every web site seems sluggish.
gurugeorge wrote:Safe Mode makes no difference.
Using a completely new, blank profile doesn't either.
gurugeorge wrote:Sorry guys, going to have to use another browser till this gets sorted out. All the weirdness (for me) started with 27.5.0, the browser was working perfectly before that.
My solution was to roll back to 27.4.2, which seems to be the "Firefox ESR" equivalent right now, at least for me. Hmm...that's an interesting thought. Maybe it's time for a dedicated "Palemoon ESR?"

gurugeorge

Unread post by gurugeorge » 2017-10-19, 16:29

Happy to report that the latest version of 27.5.1 seems to have fixed everything and it's back to its normal, slick self :thumbup:

gurugeorge

Unread post by gurugeorge » 2017-10-20, 06:11

Bah, spoke too soon. On further usage, it's still behaving weirdly, mainly the delay in opening tabs in Youtube and some forums (e.g. the Warframe forums, which I use a lot). :thumbdown:

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2017-10-23, 10:55

gurugeorge wrote:Bah, spoke too soon. On further usage, it's still behaving weirdly, mainly the delay in opening tabs in Youtube and some forums (e.g. the Warframe forums, which I use a lot). :thumbdown:
I tried 27.5.1 again with a brand new profile, no extensions (Oh lord, the ads, how does anyone do anything on the web these days without an adblocker? But I digress).

Along with similar delays to what you mentioned I also found that after having the browser open for an extended period of time it would just stop loading websites altogether! No "page could not be displayed" or anything like that...just "waiting for." Made sure that the machine and others still had connectivity each time. Restarting PM was the only solution.

So...back to "ESR" I go again.

pmoonuser2016

Unread post by pmoonuser2016 » 2017-11-06, 11:07

Hey Lads,
just thought i would pop in to report a bug since 27.5 (esp 27.5.1)
as has happened several times lately, with several tabs open, more apparent of late with twitter site open as well as about 10 other tabs, *something* wont load from the internet, cpu usage gets stuck at about 25% , the memory usage , without any internet usage , nor application running in applications tab in task manager, in the processes tab as i have just observed, palemoon still there , mem went from 1.2 gig to > 1.4 gig . When this is manually terminated and PM restarted, there is no record of last set of open tabs nor any option to restore those.....so all tabs lost again.

dont know the exact cause, just thought it might be helpful to report what i have observed

cheers

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-11-06, 14:16

pmoonuser2016 : Yes, I sometimes have this problem too, for years. After quit Palemoon, it still in processes and I must terminate it manually.
Before 2 months I switched from HDD to SSD, and Palemoon quitting normally. So this problem is maybe in slower HDD or etc. which not quit all Palemoon and the process is still active :eh: .

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-11-07, 14:51

SGvagon, that bug was the worst in Firefox 2x, IIRC. The origin of that issue, appears to be "Bon Echo"! Thus, a very old bug!

But, it could mean that the Windows prefetch is in a corrupted state.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-08, 04:08

I have also noticed tabs taking a long time to load in 27.5.* and the 27.6.* unstable release. Even noticed it in Pale Moon Forum. And I don't use Windows but Ubuntu 14.04.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

motrucker

Unread post by motrucker » 2017-12-15, 15:11

I too have had these problems. Pale Moon does not crash outright, but will not respond for long lengths of time (minutes, up to 5 at a time). I use Windows 10 with the newest (1709) update. The machine has an AMD, A4-6300 APU @3.70GHz with 4Gb of RAM. Everything is 64 bit. It's getting so bad I can't use the browser at all.
I hope this problem can addressed soon.