Phantom toolbar next to the status bar Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
spinme

Phantom toolbar next to the status bar

Unread post by spinme » 2017-09-23, 17:53

Version: 27.4.2 (32-bit)
Low power Dual 1Gb Vista Home

I see the phantom toolbar next to the status bar was reported in 2014. My observations are similar to the original reporter.
This clearly doesn't happen often so I'll do a full reinstall in a few days. But I record it here for others to find if the glitch hits them. There's a small clue below for PM programmers that may/may not be useful & a temp work around for users.

Appears soon after but not at creation of a new profile/install
Phantom toolbar next to the status bar
Behaves as a normal toolbar
Toolbar seen by Customize
Customize can load extensions into the toolbar
Toolbar runs extensions
Survives a restart with icons intact
If the window is closed & reopened the toolbar remains but is empty

I've been unable to link the toolbar to a particular extension. However I did discover that ToolbarButtons{1.1.1-signed.1-signed}.xpi contains an extension "status" which unpacks to "Toggle The Status Bar"

Yes, you guessed correctly "Toggle The Status Bar" does not toggle the Pale Moon status bar but the phantom toolbar instead.
It's a welcome work around every time a window is opened but **fkg annoying.

I'm hoping that [time permitting sometime] whatever the extension is doing gives a clue to what's happening.

To be clear this all happened in brand new user profiles "before" I started experimenting moving the status bar into the address window. So [joke almost] I won't cry if this turns out to be code to help build a below screen Autohide Toolbar for seldom used controls for zoom setting tools, webpage filters, security trips, PC monitoring & tracks disposal eg. things to have handy but always out of sight.