Bookmarks, password and another personal data are all lost during Pale Moon refreshing

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
tor000

Bookmarks, password and another personal data are all lost during Pale Moon refreshing

Unread post by tor000 » 2017-08-23, 16:17

Hello:
I decided to refresh Pale Moon. To my surprise, all of my bookmarks, saved passwords for websites, master password for Pale Moon and other personal data, has been lost during the refreshing. This is data that most browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera, would save rather than delete during their refreshing.
As a result, I had to restore my former profile from a backup.
Please take care about this.

Windows 7 SP1 32bit
Pale Moon 27.4.2

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Bookmarks, password and another personal data are all lost during Pale Moon refreshing

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-23, 20:16

A refresh will do its best attempt at retaining important data like bookmarks and passwords. If too many problems are found, though, you will have to manually recover from your old data (of which a backup will be saved). If this data is not retained there's a good chance that there was a severe problem in your profile (in which case a refresh would solve future issues).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tor000

Re: Bookmarks, password and another personal data are all lost during Pale Moon refreshing

Unread post by tor000 » 2017-08-24, 04:27

I imported my Firefox profile content to Pale Moon profile directory directly by copy n' paste the content.
If you say that the fact that my Pale Moon can't restore my passwords and my bookmarks during refresing, is a result of a severe corruption so that it can't read them, so I need to know what and where is the files and the directories of the bookmarks and passwords before refreshing Pale Moon, so avoiding using IE11 instead of Pale Moon to continue the discussion here.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 09:07

Firefox saves old profile data to a folder on your Desktop, maybe Pale Moon also uses the same location. So, try looking in Desktop.

tor000

Unread post by tor000 » 2017-08-24, 10:03

Update: I did the following to refresh Pale Moon and than manually restoring passwords and bookmarks.
1. Installed Password Backup Tool add-on to backup my passwords, and exported the password to XML and CSV files (Just in case one of the files won't be readable by the extension).
2. Exported bookmarks through the Import and Backup option of Pale Moon to a file.
3. Refreshed Pale Moon. Old profile data has been saved on a directory on the desktop.
4. Moved the extensions from the old profile data to the new profile directory to have Password Backup Tool.
4. Imported password through Password Backup Tool (Success), and than immediately removed the password backup files for security reasons.
5. Imported bookmarks by the Import and Backup from the exported bookmarks file (Success, but customized symbols of each bookmark has not been restored as well).

Now after I restored the bookmarks, they are all been restored without their custom symbols which appears on them, when entering a bookmark in the first time after saving it.
How I imports these symbols as well? (It created the old profile data, but I don't know where the custom symbol for each bookmarks located in this folder)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 10:25

tor000 wrote:How I imports these symbols as well?
I guess you are talking about website favicons which are shown at the very left in location bar and tab title. I don't know where to look for them in the profile folder but if you start using your bookmarks I think Pale Moon will download the necessary icons and update your bookmarks automatically.

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2017-08-27, 03:34

If you have a lot of missing bookmark icons, you can use FavIcon Reloader to restore them: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

tor000

Unread post by tor000 » 2017-08-27, 10:00

Thank you. This extension restored the bookmarks website favicons.