Held right mouse button occasionally repeats input since 27.4.0

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Dariush

Held right mouse button occasionally repeats input since 27.4.0

Unread post by Dariush » 2017-08-20, 11:02

I don't know how exactly to describe this, but basically if the RMB is held when a new tab is selected or a new page is opened, occasionally the click or other action will repeat. The easiest way to check is with addon Context Search X - if you select some text, without releasing LMB open the context menu and click RMB to search in the same page, on 27.4.0+ a new context menu will immediately open on the spot where the context menu item was clicked, whereas on 27.3.0 and earlier nothing will happen. More importantly (and rarely), from around the time I upgraded to this version FireGestures started occasionally repeating gestures, so when I close a tab, a second one might be invisibly closed along with it. As you might imagine, this is a bit catastrophic.
I am on Windows 7 x64.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Held right mouse button occasionally repeats input since 27.4.0

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-20, 12:52

hmm.. I think this might be a problem with the implementation of the "auxclick" event.
I played around with this a little and it seems to also double-up opening tabs when middle-clicking a link, or double-close when middle-clicking a tab.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 12:59

Moonchild wrote:hmm.. I think this might be a problem with the implementation of the "auxclick" event.
Yes, this is the most likely reason. It requires the author to correct the extension, like it was done here and there.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-20, 13:25

I've backed this out for now. I'll be making a new unstable build later today -- could you give that a try and see if the problem persists with this backed out?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-20, 13:27

JustOff wrote:
Moonchild wrote:hmm.. I think this might be a problem with the implementation of the "auxclick" event.
Yes, this is the most likely reason. It requires the author to correct the extension, like it was done here and there.
Unfortunately it also affects our own front-end, without extensions. This means that the patch to implement this was incomplete. See Issue #1304.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 13:58

Hmm... Could the OP author or someone else confirm this issue on a clean profile without extensions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-20, 14:01

Moonchild wrote:I've backed this out for now. I'll be making a new unstable build later today -- could you give that a try and see if the problem persists with this backed out?
Never mind this. Seems this was not the reason for the tab behavior. I'll re-apply it to trunk/release, and make the new bug about the FE issue only.

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2017-08-20, 17:49

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but wouldn't it be possible to determine the cause of this behavior by going down the list of relevant-sounding changes between 27.3.0 and 27.4.0 (or even the two nightlies where this was broken), undoing them and checking undoing which one helps? The Context Search X issue can be reproduced 100% of the time, so testing should not be a problem.

By the way, in Firefox this bug was introduced somewhere between 52.3.0 and 53.0.0b1.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 19:08

Dariush wrote:The Context Search X issue can be reproduced 100% of the time.
Btw, I can't reproduce it based on your instructions from the first post.

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2017-08-20, 19:40

Odd. I rechecked and it definitely behaves like that on a fresh profile. Here's what it looks like:
LMB is held for the whole GIF. I make two RMB clicks - once to open the menu, once to select 'Wikipedia'. After I make the second click, the new context menu immediately opens there (which shouldn't happen, and didn't happen on earlier versions).

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 19:52

Dariush wrote:Here's what it looks like
Thanks, now I see. This issue should be fixed by the author of "Context Search X" like I said above, but I'll take a look inside the extension code in a spare time.

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2017-08-20, 20:06

JustOff wrote: Thanks, now I see. This issue should be fixed by the author of "Context Search X" like I said above, but I'll take a look inside the extension code in a spare time.
Looks like you're right - Firefox added auxclick in 53.0, which matches with my observations. However, I don't quite understand, how could simply adding support for a new event (that obviously could not have been used in the older version of the addon) cause this behavior?
Last edited by Dariush on 2017-08-20, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 20:16

Dariush wrote:I don't quite understand, how could adding support for a new event (that obviously could not have been used in the older version of the addon) cause this behavior?
This new event also opens a context menu, but since the add-on don't know about this event - it does not suppress it, as it does on regular right click.

Dariush

Unread post by Dariush » 2017-08-20, 20:30

Ah, makes sense. However, that doesn't sound applicable to the main problem of FireGestures gestures being repeated on another tab (which happens very rarely and thus cannot be reliably reproduced), so it looks like I was mistaken in thinking that the two bugs are related. Any ideas what might be causing that?

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-08-23, 16:07

i have a situation which might be related to this. having the Mouse Gestures Suites addon installed along with Imagus's "right click to zoom image" option enabled, causes the context menu to open whenever i attempt to zoom a hovered image with right click. The feature functions properly when MGS is disabled/uninstalled, and the behavior doesn't happen on FF 47 nor FF 54 when both addons are installed

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-09-05, 14:07

did some more testing and it turns out the problem i mentioned in my post above only occurs on Linux and not Windows (7)