v. 27.4 Download Manager doesn't show time count

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

v. 27.4 Download Manager doesn't show time count

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-07-23, 20:00

So, in this 27.4 release the Download Manager (incorporated, no add-on tool) no longer shows that you are downloading something and how long it still takes below the little arrow symbol. If you want to see whether a download is going on and how it is progressing you now have to open an extra window by clicking on that arrow. That is strange and I wonder why that had to be changed?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: v. 27.4 Download Manager doesn't show time count

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-23, 21:34

The display still works for me, for both the "Downloads" arrow, and "Download Status" arrow that's related to the Status Bar.
You might check the settings in your Status Bar options, see if any need adjusting.

Open them via the PM status bar toolbar button, or
Menu Bar -> Tools -> Options -> Status bar options, or
PM button -> Options -> Options -> Status bar options
statusBarOptions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-07-23, 22:04

Oh, thank you, I hadn't noticed that option at all. Indeed the settings in this version were different from those in the version 27.2.1 I used prior to that. I'll try.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-07-23, 22:37

Nope, it still doesn't show anything. I have copied exactly the settings I had in 27.2.1. Arrow remains dark grey, no progress line and no time remaining count. At least when downloading from gallica.fr. Maybe you try yourself and see what happens on your side.. This book as PDF.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6577519b/f7.image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-24, 01:31

That's normal for the way the server offers the download.
The server does not indicate a file size when initiating the download, meaning it's unknown how large the file is going to be until the server sends an "end of file" signal to the browser.

As a result, there is no way for the browser to know how much data is left, or, consequently, how much time is left in the download. The arrow will be grey with no time indication, and it will turn green when the file is completed. If you open the downloads panel by clicking the button, you will see the progress (how much has been downloaded up to this point), and "unknown time remaining".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-07-27, 22:44

Yes, exactly as described. So, it's a website related problem? Some larger photos and videos from other sources had the download count I am used to.