Palemoon freezing and hanging on Facebook again

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Palemoon freezing and hanging on Facebook again

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-19, 11:19

Hello,

this week Palemoon started freezing and hanging on Facebook again. I scroll down for 30-40 posts and then click on FB logo on the up left corner. Palemoon immediately freeze and then Not responding, sometimes shows Bad script table and I can terminate this script and Palemoon not crash. Thank you in advance.
Palemoon 27.4.0 32bit od Windows 7 PRO x64bit.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Palemoon freezing and hanging on Facebook again

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-19, 17:14

As a first step, try clearing browser cookies and history/cache. If that doesn't help, try Safe Mode. Do you use the Flash plug-in? If so, try disabling that too.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-19, 21:26

Yes, clear cache little helps, but Palemoon still freeze for 5-10 sec. after clicking on FB logo. So I must use refresh (F5) button, it works better.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-20, 00:21

Unable to reproduce any big hangs on Facebook, either when using refresh or when clicking the F logo. The page fully loads in about 1 second.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-20, 01:32

Moonchild: You must scroll down for a 10-20 or more posts, and then try click on F logo. My mouse cursor stuck on pointing and all browser freeze (on clear profile or clear PM Portable too) .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-20, 02:19

Like I said, I'm unable to reproduce -- I did read your initial post and followed the steps to reproduce.
I've called up a page and scrolled a good 50+ posts down just now, and clicking the F logo is not a problem, the page clears and the Facebook start page is called up in about a second.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-20, 15:54

Maybe FB do some changes, and not of all users have already this. When I arrived from work, I try FB on another laptop.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-22, 16:06

Hmm, so FB button freezing Firefox too. It only works in Chrome.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-24, 05:19

Ok here is the end script error table
And here debugger

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-24, 08:25

I don't see anything wrong with that JS code. It's a simple regex operation?
No reason for anything to hang there, as far as I can tell. Does the debugger also actually show what is being fed into it? because it may be a bug in FB's scripting if it causes an infinite loop there, depending on the page you're visiting.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-24, 09:07

There is the tons of code. It slowly on Firefox too, but Firefox not go to Not responding browser and no show End script error table as Palemoon. Facebook must doing some changes and again ruins the browsers :-/ .

Btw. FB button not refresh site for me, it only refreshing all the posts, not all page. And this is maybe the main difference instead of classic refresh.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-07-24, 15:58

SGvagon wrote:Moonchild: You must scroll down for a 10-20 or more posts, and then try click on F logo. My mouse cursor stuck on pointing and all browser freeze (on clear profile or clear PM Portable too) .
After updating to Pale Moon 27.4.0 (the day it was released) this problem started immediately for me as well. I held off reporting it for various reasons.
My behavior is similar to the original poster, except Facebook hangs the browser for ~10 seconds and then ALWAYS presents me with the Javascript time-out error, and Pale Moon recovers well after stopping the script (or even after continuing it).

This behavior isn't super easy to reproduce, but I've noticed it happen most after scrolling down for a good number of "pages" (where Facebook must load more content). Then I will click on the Facebook link in the top-left, or on my own profile link in the top-left, and this is when the JS script hangs. Sometimes it will also do it when checking a new notification from the top-right globe.

I went into the developer's panel and copied the line of JS that caused the issue, but it was two different lines, and I haven't felt the time to report it as mentioned earlier.
When I get home, I can try to get more details...

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-07-24, 18:17

Unable to reproduce the problem on my end after following the steps to get the problem to render using Palemoon 27.4.0 32-bit on Windows 7.

Tested two times: Paged down at least 15 pages that would include at least 60 posts then clicked on the "F" logo and page rendered quickly and without any issues both times.

Did you try testing Pale Moon in safe-mode? ("Help" > "Restart with Add-ons Disabled...", press "Continue in Safe-mode" button --- exiting the browser will return to "regular" Pale Moon next time Pale Moon is started).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-07-24, 18:33

back2themoon wrote:As a first step, try clearing browser cookies and history/cache. If that doesn't help, try Safe Mode. Do you use the Flash plug-in? If so, try disabling that too.
Been having the same issue(just the past 10 days or so).
Gonna try the cache and cookies thing...

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-07-26, 05:54

I use Facebook daily and I don't have this issue. (win 10/64, PM 27.4.0)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-26, 13:21

badnick wrote:I use Facebook daily and I don't have this issue. (win 10/64, PM 27.4.0)
Facebook make changes after waves. And I am maybe always in the first wave :| .

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-07-27, 06:02

I have too other troubles with Facebook but not this issue.
PM last/64

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-27, 13:13

badnick : What other troubles?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-07-27, 13:53

SGvagon wrote:...Palemoon 27.4.0 32bit od Windows 7 PRO x64bit.
Try the 64-bit version of Pale Moon. On my PC, a few websites are handled quite better with it.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-07-27, 15:02

SGvagon wrote:badnick : What other troubles?
For example if I play once a video in Facebook, when I want to watch again the video won't play, just endless spinning and I have to refresh the page ( is not always but many times)
PM last/64