newest portable, v27.3.0.win64bit, does not run on win7, 64bit Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
oakleaf101

newest portable, v27.3.0.win64bit, does not run on win7, 64bit

Unread post by oakleaf101 » 2017-07-09, 06:04

BUG report:
The newest portable, Palemoon-Portable-version 27.3.0.win64bit.exe, does not work, it does not even open. This is on Windows 7, 64bit, on an Intel machine.
An older version works just fine: version-26.0.0.Atom.exe

(For many reasons, I only do portables. All my 8 browsers are portables, and nearly all my other software. I run them on a separate partition of my SSD drive.)

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: newest portable, v27.3.0.win64bit, does not run on win7, 64bit

Unread post by satrow » 2017-07-09, 08:37

Details, please.

Include your security software and firewall details as well as the disk + partition info.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-09, 12:40

Off-topic:
I tried Palemoon Unstable Portable and it works perfectly on Windows 7 PRO 64bit .
Moderator note: Please keep things related to this specific issue, thanks. It's not helpful to let them know that something else works on your system.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-07-09, 14:49

If you tried to use the profile from the 26xx version it will not work. There are many changes to how things are stored between 26xx an 27xx. You will have to build a new profile. This happened to me.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-07-09, 15:26

let me make it clear that I am a cyber dunce. I have Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I have three versions of Pale Moon I use.

1. Primary hard drive version is 27.3 with custom modifications in about:config and my personal preference settings.
2. USB 3 stick- ver. 27.2 with similar setting etc. as the above. It served as my test of 27.2 while I was still using 26 as my main browser version. When I upgraded the HD version I kept this portable version
3. USB 3 stick- ver. 27.3. This has the same preference settings for the most part (differences are in history settings and sometimes Mode). This version does not have any of the about:config custom modifications. I keep it for two reasons. The HD 27.3 stores history and the portable 27.3 does not, and then if I run into a problem on a site due to my about:config customizations, I can try the portable version. I have had to do this for one of my brokerage sites after they recently "upgraded" their site.

I needed a bunch of help and trial and error to get everything working decently. But, at no time did either Portable version refuse to load and work properly. I actually find myself using the 27.3 portable version more than the HD version. I do not have many extensions or plug-ins.

The one thing I did discover is sometimes trying to have both a HD and a portable version running simultaneously, especially if they were not the same version number, I had issues at times.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

oakleaf101

Unread post by oakleaf101 » 2017-09-17, 22:57

Hi, thanks for the responses. I've been away from the forum, using Waterfox, which worked fine.
Of the responses here, the one that is relevant and fixed the problem is by SGvagon, who mentioned that the "Palemoon Unstable Portable" version does not have this bug, so I tried it, and that works great! Thanks much to SGvagon.
Strangely, the moderator marked his post as irrelevant, "unrelated to this specific issue". But in fact, it is the ONLY post that IS related to this bug, and it fully fixed the problem!! So SGvagon's post should get a 5-star accolade, rather than be criticized..!!!
Also, the so called 'UNstable' version should now replace the so-called 'stable', because the UNnstable version works great, whereas the 'stable' version's exe won't even open or load!
It's not a problem with 'profiles', (as 1 poster suggested) because, obviously, I couldn't put any profile in, as the setup exe never even opened or created any folders )
Anyway, thanks to all, and especially, to SGvagon.
———

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-09-17, 23:25

Off-topic:
oakleaf101 wrote:I've been away from the forum...
It's a mixed bag.
The user said "works for me," usually it is considered as "bragging" and brings no aid to the user in need of assistance. But in this case, the user implied what works so I agree with you on that.

It's called "Unstable" because it is known to be unstable. If it wasn't it would be labeled as such, even if it solves World Hunger or The Plague.

As Satrow stated, it could be the security software that acts like anything is a virus. Firewall is to strict blocking the download. Or Unstable has a different signature that the antivirus/firewall allowed.

Overall, we are glad that your problem was solved. Expect Stable version when it is ready.