No Video Msnbc.com Pale Moon 27.3 Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ryegrass

No Video Msnbc.com Pale Moon 27.3

Unread post by ryegrass » 2017-07-02, 22:03

This may be a know issue, but Msnbc.com Hardball, Last Word, etc. will not play video in Pale Moon 27.3 on 2 different Windows 7 computers. This is in safe mode with enable Media Source Extensions disabled per your "workaround". I have also tried disabling hardware acceleration to no avail.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: No Video Msnbc.com Pale Moon 27.3

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-02, 22:24

I'm not sure what workaround you're trying to use by disabling MSE, because Hardball at least (as far as I can see) plays just fine with MSE enabled -- it just takes about 10 seconds to start, so you may need to have some patience :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ryegrass

Unread post by ryegrass » 2017-07-02, 23:20

It's been 3 minutes and waiting for http://www.msnbc.com/hardball to play any video so it's not a time issue with my computers. I've tried with flash activated, and disabled. The workaround I was trying is from the known issues page https://www.palemoon.org/knownissues.shtml

"Known issues in the current version:

Video playback on some sites is problematic
Workaround: in Options -> Content, try disabling Media Source Extensions
Timeline: We hope to have these problems solved in 27.4"

Thanks.
P.S. This is the 64 bit version of Pale Moon

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-07-02, 23:48

Moonchild wrote:I'm not sure what workaround you're trying to use by disabling MSE, because Hardball at least (as far as I can see) plays just fine with MSE enabled -- it just takes about 10 seconds to start, so you may need to have some patience :)
Also plays for me (W7 PM 27.3 x64) using Firefox compatibility and MSE disabled.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-07-03, 00:17

After waiting about 10 seconds, the video plays just fine for me too using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.3.0 running in 64 bit Linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) distro with the Xfce desktop environment.

I've got Firefox Compatibilty mode enabled along with Media Source Extensions (MSE) and MSE for MP4 video, both enabled.

Just tried my laptop using 64 bit Windows 7 using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.3.0 with all three modes above enabled and the video plays too so I don't think it's a bug.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ryegrass

Unread post by ryegrass » 2017-07-03, 00:40

Thank you all for your replies. Since this is the only site I am having trouble with (Pale Moon plays all the other sites well) and no one else is having problems,I'll use another browser just for Msnbc.

ryegrass

Unread post by ryegrass » 2017-07-03, 01:18

Found IT.
3rd party cookies must be accepted from MSNBC. Since this is a setting in the Options section of PM, it remained set in Safe Mode. Also at least for my installations Media Source Extensions must be disabled. Thanks again to everyone who checked this on their computers.