Palemoon randomly hanging again?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SGvagon

Palemoon randomly hanging again?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-06-30, 22:04

Hello,

since three days my Palemoon again randomly crashing/hanging and I don't know why. I switched from Flash player to HTML5 on Youtube and that's maybe started hanging (when I exit fullscreen, Palemoon freeze and then shows table Application stop working) . Its similar bug were on Facebook, but I don't know is this problem on it or Youtube, it's totally random.
Hang file is in the attachment. I am using the HW acceleration in PM, because without it I have problem with scrolling on Facebook and lots of videos in fHD lagging) .
Thank you in advance. I am using the latest Palemoon (27.3.0 x32) on Windows 7 PRO 64bit. I switched on new laptop (MSI GP62 6QF with Core i7 6700HQ Skylike, GeForce GTX 960M 2GB and 16GB RAM) If this helps you with this problem.
Attachments
PM Hang.txt
(9.74 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

SGvagon

Re: Palemoon randomly hanging again?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-03, 17:06

Today I had another hang, when I switched tabs between this Palemoon forum and Youtube (with HTML5 player) .

BTW. without HW acceleration I don't have any hang, but Youtube videos not play in 60 FPS and lots of other videos are little chopped (low FPS as on Youtube too) .
So this problem is maybe in HTML5 and HW acceleration.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-07-03, 18:02

Check your graphic card. I had similar issues (+ others ). When something is wrong with the nVidia , PM has strange interaction with him. Nothing worked to me (reinstall driver, PM..etc) untill I remove the graphic card from the motherboard and receiving video signal from the on board Intel graphics.Try this and see if it works.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-07-03, 18:13

I've had similar "random hags" with Youtube from the beginning of using Pale Moon (v25) to v27.1 earlier this year. I've been on Windows 8.1 the whole time. I suspect it's something in the PM host interface code, like DirectX calls. That's just speculation, though.

I knew early on it was a problem I wasn't going to figure out, so I mostly just use other browsers for Youtube. Never have had a problem with them.

That said, I have watched dozens of Youtubes recently on v27.3 without problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if I get a "random hang" again at some point. One thing I do is run a separate instance of PM with a separate profile. (I set this up for other use cases, not even thinking about Youtube, but it's proven to be useful for that too.) To do this:
palemoon.exe -P "2ndProfileName" -no-remote

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2017-07-03, 18:42

I maybe fixed with checked all Video modules in Options
No hang for 3 hours now.
But I must wait, this problem I have totally random.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-07-12, 20:44

joe04 wrote:I have watched dozens of Youtubes recently on v27.3 without problem
A follow-up here. I didn't have any hangs at all with 27.3. I've now installed 27.4 today and tested a bit without any problems.

In the past, random youtube hangs could happen seemingly at any time, from normal playback without any action on my part to jumping around the timebar or entering/exiting fullscreen. I've tried all these things in 27.3 and 27.4. Hopefully it is a problem of the past, because it's better to watch in Pale Moon than any other browser.

I've always used default settings for MSE and hardware acceleration is enabled.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2017-07-12, 21:26

SGvagon wrote:I switched from Flash player to HTML5 on Youtube and that's maybe started hanging
That's funny, cuz for me it has been the other way around.
I had to switch to HTML5 because of this problem:
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... ssues/696/
The issue has been assumed to be a Flash Player or YouTube problem, and therefore closed.
..but since this problem doesn't seem to occur in any other browser, I suspect that it is a Pale Moon problem.
Haven't tried using Flash Player on YouTube for quite some time, but I think I'll give it another try now..

--
joe04 wrote:I suspect it's something in the PM host interface code, like DirectX calls.
Moonchild has already suggested that it might have something to do with PM's Direct3D11 drawing layers.
Haven't found a proper workaround for it though.

I'll report back after some new Flash Player testing.

--

EDIT:
Unfortunately, the problem is still present in PM v27.4.
It happened after playing 7 or 8 YouTube videos. :(

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-08-22, 18:42

Another brief update: I've been using Youtube without any problems whatsoever. Now I'm confident that random Youtube hangs are a problem of the past on my system, and hopefully it stays that way!

PCMasterRace

Unread post by PCMasterRace » 2017-08-24, 00:13

badnick wrote:Check your graphic card. I had similar issues (+ others ). When something is wrong with the nVidia , PM has strange interaction with him. Nothing worked to me (reinstall driver, PM..etc) untill I remove the graphic card from the motherboard and receiving video signal from the on board Intel graphics.Try this and see if it works.
I don't think it's the hardware, I think the problem is something with the driver and it's interaction with PM. I had a couple crashes, and when they happened I saw that infamous "the display driver has stopped working and recovered" message. I haven't had any other issues with the video card and I play a lot of heavy graphics games. Maybe try updating the video driver.